[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums • View topic - Hackney and Leyton Pubs!!!

SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:09 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

I had a pint of Brodies in the Sebrights and it cost me £4.60. Given that the same pint costs just £2.19 in Brodies own pub a bus ride away it makes you wonder if that Brewery charges more for it's beer when it sells it or whether the pubs make a huge mark up. Also stick Craft in front of a beer now and that alone seems to grant a license to add a quid or more to the price.

Westie - it seems Hackney is over run with micro Brewery pubs these days. I am planning a crawl later this month or early next. I will let you know.

- -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:43 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:28 pm 

- -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Not been to the Elderfield for years but it looks kinda the same but with a lick of paint. Had a peak in at the taps last year and they didn't seem to have any micro stuff but had a few perfectly decent lines - Adnam's Ghost Ship was on for sure.

I didn't like The Plough when I went in there but willing to give it another crack. Full of more bellends than the Windsor Castle was. Was in the Duke of Wellington just last week mate. One of my favourites (one of the only pubs left in the area that shows football).

Noticed The Hospital Tavern had shut down the other week. Wonder if that'll reopen. It was always reassuringly grotty. Not a huge fan of what's happened to the area. Sure - there's more pubs with good beer on now but an area always needs a mix of types of pubs. There's literally no 'old school' boozers left now. Well - Tommy Flynn's (formerly the Wishing Well). Went in there to watch some football recently and me and my mate had to talk our way out of a kicking from some annoyed locals angry at the changes going on. One of 'em took exception to my beard and it all carried on from there. Not nice...

Both Fitzgerald's and The Lord Cecil lying empty as well. Plenty of space in the latter if anyone can afford it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm 

I had some trouble in the Wishing Well once. Lucky I can talk my way out of a paper bag and me and a mate managed to get out unscathed.

Lord Cecil. My favourite place to be on a Sunday evening for many years. The regulars were so wasted I looked and played like a brilliant pool player!

- -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:33 pm 
Rock n Roll God

Used to live on the same road as the Elderfield - lovely pub, weird watching it's surge in popularity from 2005 to 2010.

My favourite pub in London to drink in was always the Pembury Tavern, but sadly I haven't been there since I left London (2011) so I dunno if it's gone down hill. But they used to have great ales in there from their own (I think) Brewery.

And, Bola - you are a good pool player and you know it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm 

- -

Post subject: Re: Hackney Pubs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

If you do said Hackney crawl give me a shout, don't know many pubs over the border

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

The Pembury's still great! It's a lot more popular these days (which has its downsides, as we all know in East London) but there's still about 8/9 hand drawns. Usually have a dozen from a brewery called Milton in Cambridge. I never see their beers anywhere else and I can never remember what I have! Sparta I think (about 4%). But the key thing is you can still get a cracking beer for under £3.50 and they always usually have 2 ciders on (one's usually pear). They have a beer festival on once a year 'n' all.

It's a bit grotty like, but it's great. Their pizzas are excellent too.

Yeah let us know when you're crawling Bola. Can't see myself being in Hackney too much longer. Looking to buy a flat and I'm well and truly priced out. Read an article yesterday saying the average (the AVERAGE) property price in Hackney now is £500,000. It is insane. Absolutely insane.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Up for some pool as well. The Pembury's got a table. Nowhere else has, sadly...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Make this crawl a Friday night and I could well be up for it too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Oh yeah, an 'ackney pub crawl with pool cues and whatnot.

Cavey Cocker, Cup Cake Queen, Saint Thomas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 pm 
Rock n Roll God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 pm 

- -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 pm 

This could be the next Sounds XP night out. I will sort.

- -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 pm 
Rock n Roll God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 am 

Aye the George - forgot about that place. Nice pool room at the back. Spent more than a few nights in there! Used to have the most miserable landlord ever. Great jukebox too.

- -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Yeah the George is a nice pub. Always, always rammed mind. It's a Fullers pub though. Not a problem in itself because you're guaranteed a pretty good pint of something in there (Seafarers, Discovery or HSB) but there's plenty more choice in the area.

Maddigans on Mare Street also has about 4 pool tables (no ale though). The Globe on Morning Lane also has a pool table. Bloody love the Globe. Filthy cheap in there and they usually have a very well kept Ghost Ship on. Pool table's awkwardly located though, and you will come out smelling of chip fat...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 pm 

- -