SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Where do you buy most of your music?
On-line shops (Amazon, eBay etc) 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Small independent CD/record shop 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Second hand stall/shop/boot fair, etc 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Download MP3s or copy mates 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Supermarkets 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The music chains (HMV, Virgin, etc) 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Buying music
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:28 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Tesco's claim they now account for 20% of all UK music sales... Has anyone actually ever bought a CD in there? Who are they? The same people who used to buy *shudder* cassettes?

NOTE: You need to be registered and logged in to vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:58 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

I was in Tescos the other night and they had the new Pixies album for £8.97 - you cannot argue with that can you? Noticed all the chart CD's were that price as well. They are aiming for those who don't normally buy music aren't they!

You can imagine it on the deli "I will have some sun blush tomatoes oh and throw in the Badly Drawn Boy CD as well - ta." Coffee table music buyers.

As for the poll well Second Hand shops win with digital downloads a close second.

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:24 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Bola wrote:
I was in Tescos the other night and they had the new Pixies album for £8.97 - you cannot argue with that can you? Noticed all the chart CD's were that price as well.

The new Pixies album? That's just it though isn't it. Most of the supermarkets stock is old reissues and comps. The odd item'll sneak through (Franz Ferdinand are probably there) but Fiery Furnaces, the Shins, Cinerama... and Ballboy.... not very likely is it?

Last edited by Bovine Juice on Sun May 23, 2004 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:26 pm 
Mosh Monster

I voted independent shops as it makes me feel fuzzy inside and cool.
I have bought in tescos before, they are free of VAT or something i think and if you want a big release CD that can be helpful. however, they know their demographic well and will stock a ludicrous number of norah jones and dido records and perhaps three copies of anything which is anywhere near good.
As for downloads, I like to hold something physical. Groping a record is a lovely thing to do, 80% of the attraction of vinyl.

I ordered the morrissey album from amazon.co.uk because i wanted some books and y'know, kill two birds with one stone. The 'package' was dispatched last sunday and still isn't bloody well here. bastards.
online wise, i recommend opalmusic.com for new releases and netsounds.com for rarities at a fairer price than ebay.

Post subject: Re: Buying music
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:51 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Bovine Juice wrote:
[ ] The same people who used to buy *shudder* cassettes? [ ]

I still buy cassettes (occasionally). If you go to a record fair then you can find no end of class albums in the tape section, ranging between £1-£2. This means you can pick up some exceptional albums for an absolute fraction of the price of a CD. Also, I haven't got a personal CD player, so I can't listen to CD's when I'm strolling about, but I do have a walkman. Also, in my car I have a cassette player, I can't afford to rip it out and buy a CD player for it. So, nothing wrong with having a nice healthy cassette supply if you ask me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:20 pm 
I still buy cassettes Bovine :-p - why the other day I bought Barry Manilow's greatest hits on tape in a charidee shop for 50p - bloody bargain with hits such as Bermuda Triangle on - everyone a winner. And I like to live on the edge - I like to wonder if i'll get to the end of an album before the tape gets eaten alive on the reel. :roll:

I know I can't vote Sir Bovine because I can't log in innit? :roll: :oops:
But if I were blessed like you buggers i'd go for them all - :wink:
P.S - I like Norah Jones - I think she's got a nice voice and yes I bought her album in Tesco along with my nourishment needs...Oh the shame...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:24 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
The new Pixies album? That's just it though isn't it. Most of the supermarkets stock is old reissues and comps. The odd item'll sneak through (Franz Ferdinand are probably there) but Fiery Furnaces, the Shins, Cinerama... and Ballboy.... not very likely is it?

Anything that makes the top 40 is in Tescos - it's not your Rough Trade or your Flashback. Of course you knew that!

The question is would you go to your local record store and pay £12-£14 for something they are selling for £9. Most people don't hence their 20%. Mosts people don't go to the record shop but they go to the supermarket once a week. Why not pick up a CD? Clever captalist Tory funding bastards.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:25 pm 
Mosh Monster

Westie wrote:
I haven't got a personal CD player, so I can't listen to CD's when I'm strolling about, but I do have a walkman.

Aaaahhhh, a fellow taper. I have spent many an afternoon in an attempt to create the definitive tape. How I yearn for just a few gorgeous hours with an iPod.... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:50 pm 
kloot wrote:
Westie wrote:
I haven't got a personal CD player, so I can't listen to CD's when I'm strolling about, but I do have a walkman.

Aaaahhhh, a fellow taper. I have spent many an afternoon in an attempt to create the definitive tape. How I yearn for just a few gorgeous hours with an iPod.... :cry:

Yeah I frequently transfer stuff from CD to tape... pain in the arse. Anyway I depise my walkman anyway... because it's got white headphones. Now, I bought this fucking thing about 18 months ago, but all of a sudden I can't use it because a) people think I'm trying to look like I've got an iPod when I haven't b) I'll probably end up getting mugged because some tea-leaf round 'ere thinks I've got an iPod. Takes the piss...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:17 pm 
I voted chain store, (it was the closest to the record shop on Waterloo station or my local Woolworths.) I like the idea of buying CDs at Tesco but it's not alphabetical and I get all flustered.

My cassette collection has dwindled to almost nothing over the years, I think I have just one left now, the other one bit the dust the other day in the same Jaffa Cake incident as my trousers. My new car has a CD player though :) (Have I mentioned I'm getting a new car? ;) ) There will be no Jaffa Cakes allowed in it of course. Or drinks. Or passengers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:25 pm 

Honey wrote:
(Have I mentioned I'm getting a new car? ;) ) There will be no Jaffa Cakes allowed in it of course. Or drinks. Or passengers...

What no slurping on the back seat...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:37 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

Recently, I've been buying all my stuff on the iTunes music store online. Since most all of my listening is while working on my computer, there's really no point for me to give some whoring corporate music chain any extra money for a case and a booklet (which I can print off if I really want it), and the artist is getting the same money (or more, by some of the reports I'm reading on the agreements, especially with Indi labels and iTunes).

The price is right, too. $9.99 for most all albums is a heck of a lot more reasonable than the $17.99-20.99US I see in most shops in the Northeast US for new releases. It's nice, too, to be able to pick and choose a track or three (including some nifty exclusives) at $.99, instead of forking out for an entire album always.

It's a case of convenience and use for me, I guess. When I worked at a record shop (only indi owned one for miles), I bought CDs, tapes and vinyl all the time, but it's closed and I don't see the point. I want the music, not the marketing and packaging. The age of meaningful, sought-after album artwork is long dead in the main... with the odd exception, I have all the cool album artwork in my vinyl collection already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:40 pm 

I should point out, though, that when the opportunity presents itself (as in I'm traveling away from home), I'm an addict for an indi/used/collectibles music shop, and I can be found piling through stacks of stuff when I find my self in certain favorite haunts (Burlington, VT, has three real gems that I try to hit when I'm in town, which isn't often).

Unfortunately, there is basically WalMart for music within an hour's drive :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:37 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

I'm not able to vote as it depends on what I'm buying. I get a student discount with HMV so will buy more obscure non-chart stuff from there - unless it's in a small independant shop like Essential Records on Westover Road in Bournemouth who sell some great stuff for very low prices. Borders also have some great stuff for as much as £7.99 or £8.99.

Classic stuff I pick up from second hand shops - Laura Nyro, Leonard Cohen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Patti Smith and John Lee Hooker and Tom Waits are recent bargains from between £3 and £7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:44 pm 

Picked up Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2 and Lost In Translation soundtracks on High Quality MP3 from allofmp3.com for £3.80. Bargain.

Bobo! What's the DRM like on the Itunes stuff. Is it as restrictive as DRM wma or can you burn to CD etc? I know you cannot convert it to mp3 unless you use the highly illegal Playfair software which removes the DRM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:48 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Honey wrote:
I voted chain store, (it was the closest to the record shop on Waterloo station or my local Woolworths.) I like the idea of buying CDs at Tesco but it's not alphabetical and I get all flustered.

My cassette collection has dwindled to almost nothing over the years, I think I have just one left now, the other one bit the dust the other day in the same Jaffa Cake incident as my trousers. My new car has a CD player though :) (Have I mentioned I'm getting a new car? ;) ) There will be no Jaffa Cakes allowed in it of course. Or drinks. Or passengers...

Is "jaffa cake incident" a euphemism, as in "I saw Morrissey on Later and he was so buff I had a jaffa cake incident in my trousers"? I try and keep up with the kids' language, y'know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:39 pm 

Bola wrote:
Picked up Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2 and Lost In Translation soundtracks on High Quality MP3 from allofmp3.com for £3.80. Bargain.

Bobo! What's the DRM like on the Itunes stuff. Is it as restrictive as DRM wma or can you burn to CD etc? I know you cannot convert it to mp3 unless you use the highly illegal Playfair software which removes the DRM.

The iTunes DRM is incredibly flexible. There are almost no strings attached to your personal use of the tracks you buy. You can play them on up to three computers at the same time (keep three copies, that is) as well as iPods. You can burn a playlist 5 times, but there's no limit on making mixes and changing the playlist; it's mostly just a way to keep people from doing mass duplication, which doesn't bother me in the least. You can't convert the purchased tracks directly into MP3, nor would I see much reason to, but if the need arises, you can simply burn them to a CDR and rerip them as MP3s with iTunes, which works with MP3, AAC and now non-DRM WMA.

The purchased files are AAC, which is a higher quality standard format (great sound, small size; miles better than mp3, not quite as good as SHN or lossless, though they've just introduced an AAC lossless format that has promise).

At this time, I don't think they've got all the rights stuff worked out for the UK and Europe, but it's coming your way soon... it's mostly the label's dragging their feet, as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:40 pm 
Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Honey wrote:

Is "jaffa cake incident" a euphemism, as in "I saw Morrissey on Later and he was so buff I had a jaffa cake incident in my trousers"? I try and keep up with the kids' language, y'know.

Yes, that exactly what it means ;) Be sure to use it lots when you're hangin' on the block...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:43 pm 

Honey wrote:
Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Honey wrote:

Yes, that exactly what it means ;) Be sure to use it lots when you're hangin' on the block...

i GeT wHaT u Iz SaYiN cHiCk DuDe... Oh bugger I've missed the Archers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:44 am 
Kev's growler tester

I seem to buy most of my stuff at gigs