SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Belfast
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:54 pm 
Bola on the bongos

I am off to Belfast for a long weekend, anyone recommend anywhere to go, anything to do and, perhaps most importantly, areas to avoid?

Got a gig at the odyssey arena and may go and visit George Best's grave but nowt else planned.

I may have alzheimers but atleast I don't have alzheimers - ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:51 am 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

Haven't been there for about 10 years, and it scared the shit out of me then! First time I ever had to go through a x-ray machine and pat down on the way INTO the airport. Only time since was in the gulf last year, and there they did you on the way out of the airport too. Freaky!

Best plan is to ask the cab drivers - they know the best and safest spots in town (basically cos they never used to go anywhere that wasn't! :shock: )

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 pm 
Teasy, Belfast is great, I've only been there once but you could try PMing marg on here, (in fact I'll PM you her email address, I don't think she'll mind), who worked there for a while for the best places to go. We went to a gig in the union bar at the uni, you could check out who is playing there, we saw Billy Bragg but Patti Smith had been on the week before. We also went to a great bar that was in a converted church I seem to remember.

I think you're pretty safe staying to the centre of the town though for me one of the best bits was going back to Swieve's house, (he's on the David Gray site), in a loyalist area but probably best not to venture too far on the outskirts without somebody local.

Post subject: Re: Belfast
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:54 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

TAKE1TEASY wrote:
I am off to Belfast for a long weekend, anyone recommend anywhere to go, anything to do and, perhaps most importantly, areas to avoid?

Got a gig at the odyssey arena and may go and visit George Best's grave but nowt else planned.

I had a weekend in Belfast a few weeks back and had a fookin' beezer (to use local slang) time... Memories a little shady after an all dayer on the Saturday like but think we were mainly up by the University, there's some decent bars up there... Best club type thing they have is a place called Auntie Annies so probably best to check that out (although all their clubs are fuckin' tiny...). Also, we found that if you get in any decent taxi the driver will pick up on your accent and immediately tell you where to stay out of... Although there's enough graffiti around to let you know when you've strayed into loyalist heartland...

Also, rent a car and go up to the Giants Causeway... only about an hour's drive away...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:20 pm 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

hello comrades. just spotting this now. lovely bit of nostalgia there. hope yis are well...maybe see yis for a pint...one of these days...years..millennia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:25 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
m.arg wrote:
hello comrades. just spotting this now. lovely bit of nostalgia there. hope yis are well...maybe see yis for a pint...one of these days...years..millennia.

Marg! You must use a different login every time - do you want me to reset some of your old login passwords? :wink: You were one of the ones who made an appearance on the Ones We Have Lost thread. Wrongly as it turned out, obviously. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 pm 
ah yeah do like a good man. ma.n. er m.an.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:37 pm 
what in the name of jesus are they? give us a clue. i think there's an old folk artist's album in there. fiver says i'm right.

Post subject: Re: Belfast
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:23 pm 
Pipe smoking fireside sitter

Westie is right, you should rent a vehicle for yourself! I think it's a brilliant idea for you. If you don't know what to choose, read more hints there, maybe you will something for you. Good luck with your trip! :D