SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

what is punk?
Poll ended at Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:31 am
original music? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
somthing exactly reproducing the 70s punk scene 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
original music that dares to be different and contravertial 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: duel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:31 am 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

i read your review of duel, and then i accidently went to see them, and i think you are completely wrong. i dont want to call you an idiot, but surely if you are into punk, the you would have liked them???? :?:
far from synth pop they were cutting edge punk one of the few newer bands that can take that title. and having spoke to many of the older punk crowd that i happen to be a part of i am not alone in this attitude towards the band duel.
they werre wicked...so sorry i disagree with your review. may you should turn up earlier next time?

no ofence ment yet still mystified on the reveiw on this site :?: :?

punk all my life till the day i die

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:00 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Took me a site search to work out who you were on about. Micky C an 'idiot'? Surely not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:37 am 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Thanks for your comments Sofia. Glad you disagree – it’s your right, just as it’s Micky’s simian right to find Duel dull. Micky did say that he only caught the end of the set and that it was early on Sunday when impressing anyone is going to be difficult. Them’s the breaks – sometimes bands play dull gigs. If you’ve seen them since April, maybe they’ve improved. I think you’ll find that Micky’s (and our) take on punk is pretty broad – covering both the old school and new bands that share that attitude to be different and outspoken and to give a fuck.

Anyway, why am I speaking for him? Let him come down from his banana filled treehouse in the sky and defend himself!

Last edited by Johnny Anarchy on Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: When Bananas attack....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:39 am 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

fuck me that was a while ago!

Calling me an idiot aswell, well that's not very polite (even if it's true).
Maybe if the dappy twat read the review they'd notice:

1 By my own admission I only caught the end of the set, so could only base my review of them on a limited observation where they did play a couple of synth-based proto punk songs. No guitars in view!

2 I was suffering from a horrendous becks snakebite enduced hangover, so excuse me for not being totally up for an unknown ordinary band at lunchtime on a sunday.

3 The review was acurate from what I saw on the day. Maybe when you saw them they were bloody great, it's a possibilty. When I saw them they were dull, so please don't resort to petty name calling just because you disagree with something I have written. As with all my reviews, I call it as I see it at the time.

Oh, and by the way, what the fucks that poll about? What is punk? This proves your ignorance as to try and catagorise punk is kinda missing the point. Punk doesn't fit into a pigeon hole that can be defined in a few words you dolt. Grrrrrr.....

Rant over.....

Anyway, David Grey - cunt. Discuss...... :wink:

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....

Post subject: Beat me by 2 minutes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:41 am 

but covered what I said more politely. :)
Sorry went to see the Exploited at the underworld last night and suffering this morning!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:19 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Bananas wrote:
fuck me that was a while ago!

Calling me an idiot aswell, well that's not very polite (even if it's true).
Maybe if the dappy twat read the review they'd notice:

1 By my own admission I only caught the end of the set, so could only base my review of them on a limited observation where they did play a couple of synth-based proto punk songs. No guitars in view!

2 I was suffering from a horrendous becks snakebite enduced hangover, so excuse me for not being totally up for an unknown ordinary band at lunchtime on a sunday.

3 The review was acurate from what I saw on the day. Maybe when you saw them they were bloody great, it's a possibilty. When I saw them they were dull, so please don't resort to petty name calling just because you disagree with something I have written. As with all my reviews, I call it as I see it at the time.

Oh, and by the way, what the fucks that poll about? What is punk? This proves your ignorance as to try and catagorise punk is kinda missing the point. Punk doesn't fit into a pigeon hole that can be defined in a few words you dolt. Grrrrrr.....

Rant over.....

Anyway, David Grey - cunt. Discuss...... :wink:

Christ! Are Fyffes marinading their bananas in snakebite these days? When primates go mad......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:24 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
When Mad Monkeys Attack! Nurse, sedation for the chimp in bed 3!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:54 pm 

never trust a monkey with a machine gun!

Have just been listening to one of their songs on the web - IMHO it's like a poor man's Curve, but make up your own minds......

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/DUEL/

Having listened to that track, can you see my point - how did they fit in alongside The Damned and Dead Kennedys? Hmmmmm.....[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:56 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

I don't know, listening to that link you provided, they sound more like a poor man's Shirley Manson/Garbage without the talent, energy or musical interest. I'm not even a big Garbage fan, but given the choice between the two, I'd rather have Garbage LPs throw at me with a catapult. That's just me, though.

But one thing is true, that ain't punk in any sense I can imagine, regardless of how broad you define it. Synth rock, mixed with goth nonsense and faux heavy metal stylings, sure.

It doesn't fit in with The Damned or the DKs, or any other punk acts I can even think of, really. *shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:26 am 

Admittedly, that's only one of the tracks that they've done, but from my hazy recollection of the end of their set at Punkaid that's the sort of stuff they did.
I'm sure if you really dig that sort of music, then maybe you'd love it. I in truth found it all a bit tedious at the time and really couldn't work out how they managed to squeeze on to a festival bill like P.aid.

Still it was all for chrarridy so who am I to be critical? Ok bugger, I'm a critic - it's my job! :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:20 am 
hahaha hmmmm i guess bad press is good press they say
to be honest they rocked vocals music and guitars where screaming,although i havnt found much on the web about them
the cd's good too,i remember the damned the first time round and of course i love them , although if id just drunkedly seen captain singing happy talk and gone home and wrote a review on the damned i wouldnt have given them a great review either,funny thing is i was just in a forum where the damned where being slagged of being called a goth band. still duel certainly seemed to please enough of the crowd headlining the punk gig on saturday and they also pulled of a great cover of melody lee too so i think you should cut them some slack poor kids
but each to there own

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:57 pm 
If this is the same duel i think your talkin about i like um too
the girl singers pretty fit . they sounded pretty punkrock and lively when i saw them play with the vibrators in brighton. im not really into female punk singers but she did a good job, i think they could do with a drummer but apart from that they had a frontrow of pogo crazed nutters at the front, funny to see mr charlie harper there selling there c.ds too
8)
my friend in france has a monkey or chimp he likes his punk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:59 pm 
the monkey well and my friend ??????i shouldnt be drinking so early

Post subject: its all music
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 pm 
Its all music aint it, all these forums talk about the same thing. :( why has it got's to fit into any bracket anyway. i like duel but i like alot of things! im listening to hendrix now,before that the addicts putting music into a box is like saying i hate monkeys becouse dogs are cool. (Sorry thought id keep this monkey thing going!!!!!!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:48 pm 

there's always room for monkeys on this board matey!

The adicts - jeez, I used to like them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:58 am 
how many roadies does it take to change a light bulb?

depends how close there fat arses are to the light bulb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:56 am 

Why do all sound engineers say 1,2,1,2 ?

Cos after 3 comes lift !

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:17 pm 
interesting site !

:( Im a roadie allthough i guess my arse is fat

But anyway i saw duel in ipswich on saturday they were punk as fak, mohawks and all. They played a blinding set with stiff opposition from the blitters. and after talkin to tara from duel they have allso got an ex drummer from king kurt onboard as well as a second guitarist. I cant wait to hear just how big there sound gets...

whats all this monkey buisness|???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:11 pm 

as far as the monkey buisness goes..... it's like punk..... if you have to ask, then you'd never understand....

everybody knows that monkeys are the new rock and roll !
8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:46 pm 
shes cute the duel kick ass on stage specialy with paul king kurt and canoodian keef """""long live custard and all who throw custard"""""