SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:03 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
We've all been at gigs where we've thought "Jeez you must be difficult to work with..." Nominees must believe the world revolves round them but clearly be obnoxious too. So this eliminates the affable drunks (Shane MacGowan), incompetent druggies (Pete Doherty) or just mad (Craig Nicholls), just people who clearly aren't really all that nice. And it must be based on your own viewing rather than "I read an interview once where he claimed all cripples should be shot and kittens buggered". First 2:

Mark E Smith - Drunk but a volatile "Did you spill my pint?" one. Spent entire gig wandering around re-setting his band's amps and slapping their keyboards. They looked on warily. Only smile all night was a half one when I shouted "City!" to him (we'd just beaten Spurs 4-3 in that classic Cup enounter after being 3-0 down and down to ten men)

Lisa Moorish (Kill City) - Seen her twice. First time she kept slagging off her guitarist, via the mike. These were not gentle rebukes or playful banter - it was four letter diatribes about his performance. If he'd have walked off there and then,we'd have all understood. Second time it was the sound man's turn. Lisa thought the sound at an empty LSE was not good enough and she was certain that everyone would blame the engineer - a pleasant looking young man who was obviously just in the wrong place and at the wrong time.

There are of course a few who were so surly or arrogant nothing they did could possibly make you like them - Brandon from Killers and twatty hatted drummer from Jet spring readily to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:05 pm 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

I recently got the book One Man & His Bog which is all about the Adelphi club in Hull. There's a funny chapter about The Fall's gig at the venue, it seems Mark E Smith didn't have a very good night.