SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:43 pm 
Although I can see where 'Phil G' is coming from, John Lydon doesn't need to explain himself to all and sundry. He is one of the most striking images of the seventies, spitting out some of the best vocals with incredible meter to the lyrics. To start laying into him some 27 years after he sung for one of the bast bands in Britain is ridiculous, and if I may say, a poor excuse to fill the empty space that has to be written in order to help towards 'Phil Gs' wages. The thing is, John Lydon KNOWS he's not punk anymore, he knew that as soon as they really started taking off and people started ripping their jeans and dying their hair to appear chic instead of making a political statement. In closing, I think Mr. 'Phil G' needs to get out of the seventies, and the office, and go find the bands that are gonna make Britain Great again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:55 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Wages? Is someone paying Cartwrong? That's not right. He'll only spunk it on Lotto lucky dips. Nah, Phil C is a misanthropic, vicious genius and quite rightly believes everyone in the public eye deserves to be shot at (well not literally obviously though he probably disagrees about that too...).

Lydon's a very wealthy contrary twat and as such is a worthy target. He lives in some huge mansion somewhere (is it LA?) slagging off Britain and the British. He's as much right to comment on modern day England as Sean Connery has to comment on Scotland from his tartan clad Marbella apartment. I don't resent his wealth or choice of lifestyle but I do wish he'd stop thinking that he still has the right to be heard.

And Phil C doesn't need to get out of the office - he has no office. He needs to get out of bed and those intraweb doodah gaming sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:14 pm 
Honey Pot Snorkler

I've put a link to this article on the DUbh Scaffa forums because I think it is too true!!!

Bless him, I know a few people who are pushing 50 and still act like punk kids!

http://www.dubhscaffa.net/scaffa/forum_ ... c.php?4.74

Forum - http://ww.dubhscaffa.net/phpBB2/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:18 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

That post has been on the site for a while, and at one time I might have thought it a bit harsh as Johnny was a breath of fresh air in the 70s and did pretty revolutionary things with PiL in the 80s. But having seen him on 'I'm A Celebrity....', then appearing in lifestyle magazines and presenting TV programmes, he's become the sort of parasite that he always slagged off. He's more highly influential musically now than ever, so why can't we criticise him for being a careerist C-list celebrity that detracts from his achievements?

Agree that we should get out and find great bands and we do - the whole site is about promoting music and bands that don't get the coverage they deserve. Get down and hear Maximo Park and Metro Riots on Saturday at the Barfly or buy the new Tompaulin album.....

Oh, we've paid for Phil C (or English Phil, as he's known in Vegas) in our time, in beer.....