SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:30 pm 
Oh dear! Tragedy really does bring out the worse in us does it not? :?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and let's not talk body count - is it just me or can anybody else see traces of delight in media faces as they add to the figure? :? Why give us all these figures anyway? One loss of life is tragic in itself. I feel sickened by the whole handling of this tragic affair now. It's tomorrow's fish and chip wrap. Stop with the reporting and let these peoples' souls rest in peace.

My God they showed the dying moments of a mother crying out for her children. Did they ask for her permission? I think not. They took the dignity out of her exit from this world and it's fucked me off now. Did I ask to see it? No. I turned my telly on and there she was - no warning. It's a fucking disgrace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:20 pm 
Quote:
No, he is a moron because regardless of the point he is trying to make I've not seen or read one article that has stated that '20 europeans have died', so he's just basically just talking shite and trivialising the deaths of those people and the reporting of their deaths by being insensitive and damn right offensive just in the name of having an atitude...

I wouldn't normally reply to this sort of thing, I hate confrontation but I think you missed the point again. Toady was bemoaning the fact that by concentrating on the death toll among europeans, the press are trivialising the deaths of all the Indonesians, Sri Lankans, Indians etc. It was a rant at the press/media nothing more.

I doubt there's anyone on here that wouldn't agree that it's a horrifying and distressing tragedy or that doesn't feel sympathy for the families who have lost loved ones, but that's families regardless of where they're from.

This thread is just addressing the cynical use of a tragedy by politicians and the media for their own gain because that in itself is just tasteless and offensive.

I'm sorry if you've been offfended and I'll leave it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:35 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

In support of Toady radio reports on Five Live suggested 12, 18 then 20 Brits/Europeans had died. These figures were reported on the day of and the day after the event. It was only after the impact of the disaster had hit home that the figures were wholly inaccurate - remember they also reported low casualties in India and Sri Lanka when the reports first came in. I too think you misunderstood the point he was trying to make which Beanie explains rather better than I could.

The other one that got my goat is that the death of some old Saxe-Coburg and Gotha bint related to the queen took precedence to the tragedy in some quarters. Who the feck cares.

A relative of mine was asleep in his hotel room when the Maldives were hit. Luckily he and his wife escaped despite being sodden and losing most things. Luckily they had put their money and passports in a safe which they later found in the resting in the mud in the remains of their hotel.

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists