SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Controversial Corner...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Ok here goes.. just to stir up a little controversy but am I alone in seeing a whole world of hypocrisy in the tsunami reaction?

Firstly of course it's awful, and for those affected we can only guess at what they're going through... HOWEVER famines and wars happen all the time in Africa with similar horrific tolls and they barely prick the radar of our media. So why's this so special? Because a relative handful of Europeans died and the resorts hit were all regularly used by Western holidaymakers. And politicians are now using the occasion for their own means ...cue pictures of US statesmen going to Indonesia, a MUSLIM country to make donations... Nice news... Why aren't you addressing third world issues all the time rather than just when the public are conscious of the issues?

And the whole thing with minute's silences in workplaces. We've had 9/11 three years running... we always do Remembrance Day... now this. And it had to be even longer. 1 minute's no longer enough... it has to be 3. Where will it stop? Permanent looping 24 hour silences for every disaster ever? It'll get as bad as footy where every match now seems to be marked by silences and black armbands to mark the death of some ex-player.

Ok... hope I've not offended anyone, I do realise the horror of the incident I just get pee'd off with the way we're forced to address some miserable happenings whilst others are ignored. It's all or nothing and it's up to you to deal with it in your own way and in your own time. Stop telling us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:50 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

It is a terrible tragedy and I gladly kept quiet for 3 minutes. What bugs me is the way media keep putting a British slant on it - OMG, 20 Europeans were killed! - etc. The fact that some victims were from closer to home doesn't make me even more sympathetic.

Another thing that peed me right off was the US trying to take control of relief efforts when the death toll was the same as that caused by the US in Iraq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:34 pm 
Bola on the bongos

Hopefully they don't intend to move upto a 4 minute silence for the next tragedy, theres no way I can keep quiet or avoid farting for that long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:40 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Bovine Juice wrote:
And the whole thing with minute's silences in workplaces.

Yep, can't help thinking it moves away from the point - it's one thing remembering those who've actually gone out and laid their lives down, but quite another to express sympathy for victims of an accident - that requires action. It all dates back to the death of Princess Diana, when the country as a whole discovered its ability to mourn for people who they never knew, and almost overnight as a nation we became grief-junkies, greedily grabbing our fix from whatever tragedy we could. I don't actually know anyone who was affected by the disaster - that doesn't stop me caring or doing the small amount I can to help out, but it's not for us to rob the legitmate grief of others. (Don't so much mind the silences for footballers mind you, as that has some relevance, but should only be at clubs they are relevant to.)

It's another pointer to the commodification of news - there's so many outlets that need to pay their way - in particular the desperately pointless 24 hour coverage that loves an unfolding event to try to justify its existance - they haven't quite run a death toll totaliser in the bottom right hand corner of their screens, but it's only a matter of time, and to what purpose? Why this event - well it's a new flavour - starving african war victims are soooo 1984 and all they do is sit around and die - where's the unfolding story in that?

The other thing they tried to do with this, certainly at first, was make it part of an ongoing "climate change" story following the hurricanes earlier in the year. The people they interviewed, cos they'd got a platform for once, couldn't quite bring themselves to say "this has nothing to do with climate change".

Erm not sure where that came from - I wasn't cross before, curse you Bovine.

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:53 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

I most dislike the way that this has gone from genuine sympathy to a form of mass hysteria. We're being forced into these public displays of sympathy and donation giving "in solidarity with the people in the Indian Ocean" which are becoming vile displays of sanctimony. We're not encouraged to think internationally about other troublespots in the world (handy for diverting attention from Iraq) or the debt repayment systems that cripple lots of countries, not just those affected by the tsunami.

I think you should leave people to reflect and grieve by themselves and make a donation if they want to help and save the silence for November 11. It all started going bad when they decided to give a minute's silence to the royal bike of Kensington, Dirty Di, the People's Poke and even worse when they had a silence for the brown-toothed, piss-stained gin-soaked Queen Mum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:09 pm 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
It all started going bad when they decided to give a minute's silence to the royal bike of Kensington, Dirty Di, the People's Poke and even worse when they had a silence for the brown-toothed, piss-stained gin-soaked Queen Mum.

Ah yes, the royal family can all fuck off and Di.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 pm 
You shouldn't speak ill of the dead Johnny - tut tut. I was at a friend's house the other night and she had CNN on - it made me feel sick - the whole thing was being played out like an episode of Dallas or something -split screens/indian music - total sensationalism - we have become a desensitised nation now through media saturation - by the time I left her house I was not sure if the disaster had even happened - it was 'glamourised' that much - the fact that they showed 'we can predict the weather' adverts in between made the whole thing even more unbelievable. :? Anyway she said does it not make you want to go out there and help? I said 'No - what I want to do is round up the children in my area who did not have a christmas - whose every waking day is a disaster because all they know is physical/sexual/mental abuse and I want to make them feel like treasured loved ones feel' - she looked at me like I lacked a heart or something. Yes, i'm saddened by it - I said so. I'm shocked by the scenes of people applying suncream to their skins while bodies are being dug up around them still - but it's not the first time tragedy has struck and it will not be the last. I have not enough tears left, or energy, to apply to the countless things I am 'meant' to cry for as part of this world so I save my grief for those who have touched my life on a personal level. This 'false mass' of bereavement has to stop.
Don't I go on..... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:33 pm 
cRaZy cat with the bongos

Now there's a charity single in the offing. Actually, I'm surprised Bono, Sting and Geldof haven't overseen the relief effort personally.

The important thing, I think, is that WE don't become dispassionate in the face of what our governments or media decide for us. They alone created the Diana hysteria by virtue of their ongoing "bash the royals" furnace, stoked by Andrew Morton and his endless Diana biographies. It's not the same thing, and they know it, but their job is largely to sell their papers, however we might hate it.

This horrific event in the Indian Ocean is as tragic as any other for those actually involved, wherever they're from. The sheer speed of what occurred sets it slightly apart from famines and wars which are largely the result of dictatorships and human hatred. The planet made this disaster all by itself. And if the news stories about newly orphaned, displaced children being picked up by organised gangs and sold for sex and slavery are true, we can't simply slate the media for hypocrisy from the relative comfort of our desks. We have to care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:16 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
the royal bike of Kensington, Dirty Di, the People's Poke and even worse when they had a silence for the brown-toothed, piss-stained gin-soaked Queen Mum.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I met the queen once. She's a lot shorter than you'd think, from seeing her on the telly. But not as small as she looks on stamps, coins and all that...

And I was working at a 'leading leisure' park when the artist formerly known as Lady Di came and went on Logger's Leap and Thunder River with her trainee rugger bugger miniHewitt. I even had to polish the f***ing hubcaps on the van I used to drive around in. She never even came near my area.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:16 pm 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

Bovine Juice wrote:
Ok here goes.. just to stir up a little controversy but am I alone in seeing a whole world of hypocrisy in the tsunami reaction?

Firstly of course it's awful, and for those affected we can only guess at what they're going through... HOWEVER famines and wars happen all the time in Africa with similar horrific tolls and they barely prick the radar of our media. So why's this so special? Because a relative handful of Europeans died and the resorts hit were all regularly used by Western holidaymakers. And politicians are now using the occasion for their own means ...cue pictures of US statesmen going to Indonesia, a MUSLIM country to make donations... Nice news... Why aren't you addressing third world issues all the time rather than just when the public are conscious of the issues?

And the whole thing with minute's silences in workplaces. We've had 9/11 three years running... we always do Remembrance Day... now this. And it had to be even longer. 1 minute's no longer enough... it has to be 3. Where will it stop? Permanent looping 24 hour silences for every disaster ever? It'll get as bad as footy where every match now seems to be marked by silences and black armbands to mark the death of some ex-player.

Ok... hope I've not offended anyone, I do realise the horror of the incident I just get pee'd off with the way we're forced to address some miserable happenings whilst others are ignored. It's all or nothing and it's up to you to deal with it in your own way and in your own time. Stop telling us.

What about all these 1 minute silences at football matches now? I remember when we had one a the Riverside when Bobby Murdock died. My mate turned round and said "Why are we having a 1 minutes silence for Murdock? He was crap in the A Team".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:44 pm 
Axe Wielding Maniac

Phlegmy Toad wrote:
Ah yes, the royal family can all fuck off and Di.

Too fucking right. American tabloids still go on about "Saint Diana" and how her death was a murder conspiracy. Fuck off. She was a bimbo who had a fetish for expensive clothes and banging married men. Nothing more. All of her charity shit was a photo op. John Lydon said it best when he called her a "useless spare tit".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:30 am 
Girl on the Door with the Rubber Stamp

Phlegmy Toad wrote:
OMG, 20 Europeans were killed! - etc.

You fucking moron, the news reprted on Monday that 2,200 europeans have died with 7000 still missing... and seen as its Thursday I'd guess it was alot higher now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 am 
Beast with a Bass

Quote:
You fucking moron, the news reprted on Monday that 2,200 europeans have died with 7000 still missing... and seen as its Thursday I'd guess it was alot higher now...

Um sorry I think you missed the point.

What Mister Toad meant was that the British press seems to be concentrating on the British/European loss of life. He wasn't trying to quote figures.

And there really is no need to call anyone a fucking moron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:37 am 

Beanie wrote:
Quote:

What Mister Toad meant was that the British press seems to be concentrating on the British/European loss of life. He wasn't trying to quote figures.

Thank you Mr Bean. Someone got it at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:03 pm 
Beast with a Bass

Quote:

Mrs Bean!!! Or Miss Bean really I guess!!

Grrrrrrrr :x :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:25 pm 

Beanie wrote:
Quote:

Mrs Bean!!! Or Miss Bean really I guess!!

Grrrrrrrr :x :wink:

Erm, humble apologies. Forgot you were a female Bean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:33 pm 

Have to agree with virtually everything that's been said on this thread, but I'm beyond getting angry about it now.

Don't worry folks, these events will all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks when something more newsworthy comes along. Happens every time when something like this occurs. As soon as there's no more pictures of little girls dollies in the mud, aged men with stories of how they went to work in the morning and when they came home their families had been wiped out, or soundbites from politicians about how this should never be allowed to happen again, the media will piss off out of the region in search of something else. :roll:

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:55 pm 
Beanie wrote:
Quote:

No, he is a moron because regardless of the point he is trying to make I've not seen or read one article that has stated that '20 europeans have died', so he's just basically just talking shite and trivialising the deaths of those people and the reporting of their deaths by being insensitive and damn right offensive just in the name of having an atitude...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:59 pm 
Girl on the Door with the Rubber Stamp

Anonymous wrote:
No, he is a moron because regardless of the point he is trying to make I've not seen or read one article that has stated that '20 europeans have died', so he's just basically just talking shite and trivialising the deaths of those people and the reporting of their deaths by being insensitive and damn right offensive just in the name of having an atitude...

That was me by the way...

...and while Im at it, the whole thread topic name pisses me off, 'Controversial corner', you are almost inviting the kind of pointless rants that Mr Toad had displayed... Im sure if one of Mr Toads friends or family was one of those '20 europeans' his opinion would be slightly different...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:14 pm 

Fight! fight! fight! fight!!!!! :shock:

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....