SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 pm 
cRaZy cat with the bongos

Bovine Juice wrote:
Traditional kids comics. Although the Beano and Dandy are still there, where are the rest? Where's Victor, Whizzer and Chips, Topper, Beezer, Cor!, Bunty (for my sister obviously...), etc? The racks are now full of TV cash-in mags - Simpsons, Pokemon, Joe Pesquale's DIY Funzone...

I used to get Scoop, which included that wonderful comic strip, "This Goalie's Got Guts", the story of Ben "the keeper" Leiper of Mancastor (ahem) City. Scoop came to a sudden end when it "merged" (very much in the Hitler/Poland sense) with Victor to create the worst boys' comic ever. I think the "new" Victor went down the tubes soon after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Bovine Juice wrote:
Traditional kids comics. Although the Beano and Dandy are still there, where are the rest? Where's Victor, Whizzer and Chips, Topper, Beezer, Cor!, Bunty (for my sister obviously...), etc? The racks are now full of TV cash-in mags - Simpsons, Pokemon, Joe Pesquale's DIY Funzone...

And why is Match Weekly now the kiddie mag and Shoot the teen orientated monthly? And where's Goal gone?

I don't think the Beano and Dandy are the same - without having done much research (or admitting to it), they seem to be adopting the cult of celebrity from what I can tell. Once upon a time, they all lived in a comic utopia where they never aged, they scrumped apples and had beanfeasts - not the same as a Beanie-roast - and schoolmasters wore mortar boards. As for the footy comics, there were only one story endlessly rehashed (poor bloke with crap boots gets chance of glory, is given leprosy by rich and/or amoral toff, limbs drop off but he pulls rabbit out of the hat in the last episode by scoring six with his stump and winning honourably). In war comics, if we weren't trouncing the Hun, we were putting sword to little johnny jap and signor luigi.

It was great in our grey 60s/70s worlds where you'd play football till the sun went down, dog shit for goalposts, etc but it's gone the same way as flares and Austin Allegros. Me, I grew up on Whizzer and Chips, Warlord and Countdown, all read on the outside privy with its cut up Daily Mirrors for paper or under the covers with a torch. Now all kids want is...zzzzzzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:38 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Johnny

I think in Beanoworld the teacher still has a mortar board on his head and maybe that's why the kids aren't interested any more.

And in Victor didn't Alf Tupper always beat the cocky Yank and the efficient Hun in an Olympic marathon the day after working a nightshift in some Morris Minor factory and having had double cod and chips for brekkie?

Fernando - I'm trying to remember Scoop... was it the one that had this 'fantastic' Dream League style footy league where a 'computer' (ie some old guy with a slide rule and a dice) calculated fantasy results for teams made from the best players from a specific area eg Merseyside, Manchester, South West, North East, etc. I loved that one though clearly it was rubbish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:43 am 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Fernando - I'm trying to remember Scoop... was it the one that had this 'fantastic' Dream League style footy league where a 'computer' (ie some old guy with a slide rule and a dice) calculated fantasy results for teams made from the best players from a specific area eg Merseyside, Manchester, South West, North East, etc. I loved that one though clearly it was rubbish.

Yes, that was it! They had a "video action replay" of the goals too, which looked like a comic strip painted on to a venetian blind. Bloody awful, but great fun when you were ten. Er, or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:51 am 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Fernando wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:

Yes, that was it! They had a "video action replay" of the goals too, which looked like a comic strip painted on to a venetian blind. Bloody awful, but great fun when you were ten. Er, or so.

Fantastic. I thought I was the only person who liked that. And erm clearly we were as it never completed a season... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:14 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
And in Victor didn't Alf Tupper always beat the cocky Yank and the efficient Hun in an Olympic marathon the day after working a nightshift in some Morris Minor factory and having had double cod and chips for brekkie?

Exactly - the Tough of the Track -"I'll just finish this bag o'chips and then I'll break t'world record". Obviously omitting chips from her diet was where Paula Radcliffe went wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:31 pm 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:

Exactly - the Tough of the Track -"I'll just finish this bag o'chips and then I'll break t'world record". Obviously omitting chips from her diet was where Paula Radcliffe went wrong.

That and (if PopBitch is to believed)... shitting herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:36 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:

That and (if PopBitch is to believed)... shitting herself.

Arf! They claim that it's common for marathon runners to feel the need to crimp one out mid race. That's why I never go to watch the London marathon - more shite flying about than at the Lord Mayor's parade. After the race they give them a space blanket, an isotonic drink and a clean pair of grundies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:31 pm 

Music mags that are made up entirely from band pictures and song lyrics.

Lucky bags (a paper bag with a little inedible toffee, a pair of plastic false teeth and a broken crayon)

A 9 o'clock watershed. I'm sure I heard a Blue Peter presenter utter "cunting pissflaps" the other day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:04 pm 
Kev's growler tester

one thing that is disappearing fast, sad to say, is the comb over. which is a fucking tragedy, because whenever i see them they make me laugh my tits off.

their used to be this guy in birmingham who sold the evening mail, and there he'd be, every night, chanting 'hhhhheerrrrredemaiii' sporting the most fantastic double comb-over ever. this basically consisted of sweeping two columns of hair from the back of his head up and over so they crossed on the crown, leaving him with two fringes - one over his right eye, the other over his left!

pure fucking genius! :D

other things of beauty long gone: being told to 'go and play up your own end', little girls playing 'elastics' (ie: jumping between some elastic that was wound round two other girls legs), being too afraid to piss in the swimming pool during school swimming lessons because we'd fallen for that bullshit rumour that you'd be followed by a trail of red dye if you did, rolling knee high socks down to your ankles so it looked like you had a tyre round each leg, making perfume from rose petals (and wondering why it smelt like shit), the alpine pop man, lumps of sand covering sick in school corridors.

i could go on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:14 pm 
Bola on the bongos

I was always told it was purple dye, different calibre school obviously. Got dragged to lakeside shopping centre after xmas and saw the strange sand/sick combo, brought a smile to my face.

Haven't seen a kids glove on a wall for a while

I may have alzheimers but atleast I don't have alzheimers - ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:02 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

pol pot noodle wrote:
lumps of sand covering sick in school corridors.

i could go on...

And they sent it to the kitchen to be passed off as vegetable crumble.

My deputy head at grammar school had a truly superb combeover, when it was windy it must have been a good 8 inches long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:11 pm 

Phlegmy Toad wrote:
pol pot noodle wrote:

i could go on...

My deputy head at grammar school had a truly superb combeover, when it was windy it must have been a good 8 inches long.

I'm not sure anything as exotic a vegetable crumble (even if it is just sand coated vom) existed at my school. The only veg was peas, diced carrots and lumpy mash and they always accompanied faggots, sausages or rissoles.

A bowl of rissoles (for the benefit of youngsters - a savoury patty made up from pigs' eyelids, trotters and Biffin Bridges)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:13 pm 

We had this stodge for dessert that even the teachers called 'dead baby pudding'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:16 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:
pol pot noodle wrote:

i could go on...

I'm not sure anything as exotic a vegetable crumble (even if it is just sand coated vom) existed at my school. The only veg was peas, diced carrots and lumpy mash and they always accompanied faggots, sausages or rissoles.

I thought that was you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:49 am 
Honey Pot Snorkler

Chimes wrote:
The place in which we used to rehearse was also used by a fella who, nowadays, would be called dyslexic. Trouble is, dyslexia, along with things like autism, wasn't really invented/discovered in those days (late 70's).
He was a Queens Park Rangers supporter.

Hence he scrawled 'Q.R.P.' in massive letters on the wall.

In our local student pub (Dry Dock, Leeds) There is a loverly bit of Graffitti that say 'Biffy Cylro' - and underneath, some one has wrote 'Clyro You Stupid Twat'

Forum - http://ww.dubhscaffa.net/phpBB2/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:00 am 

Jess@dubhscaffa wrote:
...underneath, some one has wrote 'Clyro You Stupid Twat'

Someone has written, "you Stupid Twat" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:03 am 
Honey Pot Snorkler

I'm a music tech student, you expect too much of me :P

Forum - http://ww.dubhscaffa.net/phpBB2/index.php