SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: White Dog Poo Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:31 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
A thread dedicated to the things that used to be as common as chubby cheeked boys in a Derby County Divison 1 Champions shirt (actually this could happen again next year..) bouncing on a space hopper.

1. Hair lips - just spotted two (not on the same face obviously) and it made me realise you so rarely see them these days. One was on a woman too. Are they now out of fashion? Or because I've just spotted two does that mean I've picked up on Winter 04/05s exciting new er retro look...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:46 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Number 2 in the White Dog Poo Thread (huh huh huh):

Chocky peanuts in Revels. Just had a packet, none in there. But here's the rub... get this... there were chocky raisins in there...! Whose idea was that? An idiot's, that who. Peanut ones were the best. Makes my blood boil it really does...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:56 pm 
cRaZy cat with the bongos

As SoundsXP's very own Kennel Club insider, I can reveal that there is a scientific reason why you don't see white dog poo nowadays. It's basically down to the fact that dogs aren't given as much calcium in their diet as they were previously (it used to be specifically added to dog food but this practise has now largely ceased). The effect of the calcium was that was dog poo decomposed over time, the calcium deposits were the last bits to break down, this giving the white hue of our heady nostalgic days.

There you go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:02 pm 
Bola on the bongos

You never seem to see single gloves on walls either anymore, have kids moved back to the more traditional string around the back method of hand attirement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:04 pm 
Bola on the bongos

You never see kids out doing cycling proficiency lessons anymore either, and then they have the audacity to have a pop at drivers in adverts for knocking them over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:16 pm 

Decent programmes on ITV.

Where we used to get:

The Sweeney (Hard as nails, innovative police drama)
World In Action (Intelligent, revealing investigative TV journalism)
Rising Damp (Clever, poignant and very funny situation comedy starring people who can act)
News at Ten (Quality, hard-edged newscasting from a venerable team of experienced journalists like Sandy Gall, Alistair Burnett and Reginald Bosanquet)

We now get:

The Bill (lily-livered, vaguely police-themed soap opera)
Tonight with Trevor McDonald (Brain-pureeing, low-brow docusoap, chiefly about fat people and the causes of fat people, purporting to be cutting-edge journalism)
Ant & Dec (Two twats)
News at Ten (Vacuous, soundbite-filled, tabloid trivia bulletin, presented, from a ZX81-generated virtual set, by Hello!-friendly trolley dollies Katie Derham and Mary Nightingale, and read painfully slowly for the hard-of-understanding.)

And you try and tell the young people of today that, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:26 pm 
Axe Wielding Maniac

How about proper graffiti, not this so called 'tagging' crap, but proper graffiti like 'Bananas has a small cock' or 'Bovine smells'. Random acts of sweariness to put a smile on the faces of passers by!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:41 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

Pink Gingham Kid wrote:
How about proper graffiti, not this so called 'tagging' crap, but proper graffiti like 'Bananas has a small cock' or 'Bovine smells'. Random acts of sweariness to put a smile on the faces of passers by!

My similar moan re. graffiti is on page room 101. I see someone else mentioned a piece of Undertones related graff, 20 odd years old. Well, there was a similar piece on the wall outside my junior school - again, in white emulsion, letters a good foot or two high - and I went and took a pic of it last summer, as it's fading fast.
Trouble is, I've got a PDA which takes excellent pics, and you lose 'em all if, for example, you're a f***ing lazy technophobe who didn't bother downloading all his pics onto his mac, and didn't bother recharging the pDA for a good 2 months.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:15 pm 

Chimes wrote:
I see someone else mentioned a piece of Undertones related graff, 20 odd years old.

What about that great one that stated that:

"The Undertones are PISH COUNTS WANKERS" (sic)

Still has me rolling around the floor, that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:31 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

My fave graffiti went like this:

Cable Street
Waterloo
Stalingard

3-0

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:24 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

The place in which we used to rehearse was also used by a fella who, nowadays, would be called dyslexic. Trouble is, dyslexia, along with things like autism, wasn't really invented/discovered in those days (late 70's).
He was a Queens Park Rangers supporter.

Hence he scrawled 'Q.R.P.' in massive letters on the wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:04 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Enid Coleslaw wrote:
As SoundsXP's very own Kennel Club insider, I can reveal that there is a scientific reason why you don't see white dog poo nowadays. It's basically down to the fact that dogs aren't given as much calcium in their diet as they were previously (it used to be specifically added to dog food but this practise has now largely ceased). The effect of the calcium was that was dog poo decomposed over time, the calcium deposits were the last bits to break down, this giving the white hue of our heady nostalgic days.

There you go!

you don't half talk some shit! :wink:

My rave from the grave is balaclavas. What's all this baseball hat crap? The true British kid's headgear is a balaclava, one that leaves the face uncovered, and preferably knitted by your mum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:40 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

Bola wrote:
My fave graffiti went like this:

Cable Street
Waterloo
Stalingard

3-0

My fave, at cinema when Jubilee came out.

Someone had written at the top of the bog door 'Penetration' (old punk band). Underneath some wag had scrawled 'at this height?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:56 pm 

Phlegmy Toad wrote:

Someone had written at the top of the bog door 'Penetration' (old punk band). Underneath some wag had scrawled 'at this height?'

A personal fave was in a gents toilets in a pub next to Smithfields meat market. Incredibly neatly written, in very small font, partially obscured by a pipe and about 9 foot off the ground the simple word "minge".

Anyway back to the thread...

- lolly sticks in the back wheels of bikes.

- kids dressed as sailors or cowboys

- Dunlop Green Flash tennis shoes

- pinball machines in pubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:01 pm 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

Bovine Juice wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:

A personal fave was in a gents toilets in a pub next to Smithfields meat market. Incredibly neatly written, in very small font, partially obscured by a pipe and about 9 foot off the ground the simple word "minge".

Use of the word 'minge'.

Btw, v small font, 9 feet off the floor, yet you still saw it? What were you doing in that bog; pissing from a ladder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:58 pm 
Mosh Monster

Fanzine sellers at gigs - they've all got their own websites nowadays. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:59 pm 
Phlegmy Toad wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:

Use of the word 'minge'.

Btw, v small font, 9 feet off the floor, yet you still saw it? What were you doing in that bog; pissing from a ladder?

Juice was probably wearing his Bazooka Joe X-ray specs at the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:36 pm 

Honeyy wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:

Use of the word 'minge'.

Juice was probably wearing his Bazooka Joe X-ray specs at the time...

True with them you can spot a minge through even the thickest piping... Sadly I have no teeth left as I had t chew 400000 bubble gums as a nipper to acquire them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:22 pm 

Traditional kids comics. Although the Beano and Dandy are still there, where are the rest? Where's Victor, Whizzer and Chips, Topper, Beezer, Cor!, Bunty (for my sister obviously...), etc? The racks are now full of TV cash-in mags - Simpsons, Pokemon, Joe Pesquale's DIY Funzone...

And why is Match Weekly now the kiddie mag and Shoot the teen orientated monthly? And where's Goal gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:28 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Bovine Juice wrote:
Traditional kids comics. Although the Beano and Dandy are still there, where are the rest? Where's Victor, Whizzer and Chips, Topper, Beezer, Cor!, Bunty (for my sister obviously...), etc? The racks are now full of TV cash-in mags - Simpsons, Pokemon, Joe Pesquale's DIY Funzone...

And why is Match Weekly now the kiddie mag and Shoot the teen orientated monthly? And where's Goal gone?

Sorry, the auditions for the next series of Grumpy Old Men are :arrow:

It's called progress. :wink: