SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Quitting Smoking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Right so I'm on day 6 of this quitting smoking lark and my God it's unpleasant... was alright this week until it got to last night and I got pissed as a cunt in my gaff with some mates who all smoke... I was sweating and fidgeting like some kind of fucking crackhead and it was a terminally unpleasant sight for all involved. Also I gave up partly on the pretence that smoking makes all hangovers about 10 times worse... Yeah bollocks, I've just woken up and it feels like my face is being bitten off by my dog... and I don't even have a dog...

Anyone else tried to quit? How long did you last? Any tips on how to last the distance without turning into that fella off Trainspotting in the job interview scene... 12 years of pounding nicotine is a tough nut to crack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:49 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

I've only had one cigarette since the 1st July. Luckily not that many friends smoke so it has been ok so far and being in pubs is a doddle now that they're smoke free so it's like smoking has been pretty much eliminated from my life, which is good. I'm not looking forward to going round my brothers though 'cos he's a bit of a chain smoker..... oh, and I haven't really noticed any health benefits yet, my smokers cough is even worse, that might be 'cos I've only been without alcohol for one day since the 1st July. Jeeeez, imagine if I had to give up alcohol. Doesn't bare thinking about

Goodbye, Faithful Kingdom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:23 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Good work V-V! Thing is I'm pretty sure I'm the nation's most ardent smoker so this current lapse in activity is unprecedented... I got back from Latitude and I could barely breath and I had the strong mucuslunged cough of a Norse seaman. I've had enough but BOY do I miss the fags...

My lungs are definitely feeling the benefits, I can actually take air into them these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 pm 

Well done you two - if that's what you want. What about replacing fags with shags, Westie. Keep a note of all the fags you let roll by and tally up the amount of shags owed to you - then insist on your chosen lady servicing you. If she doesn't call her a tramp and tell her that you're going to die of cancer because of her selfish ways...can't fail...

Cavey Cocker, Cup Cake Queen, Saint Thomas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:41 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Smashing idea Cavey! Thing is at my worst I could easily pound about 40 fags on a night out so... that's a hell of a lot of action I'm owed. Went out on the absolute spank last night with a bunch of smokers and rode the wave pretty fucking well! Feel alright today 'n' all, although I still need a fucking fag... (a shag would be nice 'n' all come to think of it...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:44 pm 

Westie wrote:
I still need a fucking fag...

No that's not what I meant, westie. You don't want a fag that fucks - you want to replace the....heh. I'm dead proud of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:55 am 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Cavey wrote:
Westie wrote:
I still need a fucking fag...

No that's not what I meant, westie. You don't want a fag that fucks - you want to replace the....heh. I'm dead proud of you.

Oh, silly! Your brand of Nicotine Replacement Therapy sounds like the way forward... Thanks for being proud of me, it's all my own work this blah de blah (I'm taking it all remarkably seriously). Although a friend of mine was saying last night that she's pissed off that I've quit 'cos she can't bum fags off me any more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am 

How's the quitting going Westie?

I had one on Sunday, but that still only brings my total up to 3 cigarettes since the 1st July, which is pretty good I think. Some people say it's rubbish and that it doesn't count 'cos I haven't completely given up but they can fuck off.

I'm very tempted to go and buy a pack of 20 Marlboro Reds right this second though and chain smoke the lot.

but I won't obviously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 am 
cRaZy cat with the bongos

Wow, nice work you two!

Shame all the pubs smell like hops and arse without the passive smoke now.

I've not even been in to smell a wetherspoons yet!

Seriously though, that's pretty amazing to stop like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:21 am 

Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
I had one on Sunday, but that still only brings my total up to 3 cigarettes since the 1st July, which is pretty good I think. Some people say it's rubbish and that it doesn't count 'cos I haven't completely given up but they can fuck off.

Quite right too. Keep up the good work.

I found that when I gave up, it was really, really tough the first time I went to the pub but next time it was a whole lot easier.

also when giving up you really need to have the mindset of a non-smoker. Tell people that you don't smoke rather than you've given them up. it makes a helluva difference. If you're giving up begrudgingly it's a lot tougher as well (as was the case for my first few attempts). think about the reaons why you wanted to give up in the first place.

and one last thing... Don't stop trying to give up. Even if you crack. Just because you might have a sneaky fag once or twice, it doesn't matter a thing if you manage to give up in the end.

lecture over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 am 
Kev's growler tester

i'd strongly recommend the allan carr book. his argument is that most people's attempts to quit smoking fail because they still believe smoking is something they love and have to 'give up' for health reasons rather than because they want to.

he claims the only reason people find it hard to stop are purely psychological (as nicotime leaves your body within three days). so yeah, his thing is to tackle all those psychological reasons.

anyway, just trust me on this, the man's a fucking genius. read it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 am 
Rock n Roll God

I gave up for 4 months this year .. started again about a month ago - just as the ban came in (good timing huh?)

I made teh usual "just the odd one cos i've quit the habit now" and now back on the usual 15-20 a day and really, really unhappy about it :( :( :(

Keep up the good work fellas. Just remember how fuckin' horrible smoking is ... and how easy you can revert back to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:35 am 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
How's the quitting going Westie?

I'm very tempted to go and buy a pack of 20 Marlboro Reds right this second though and chain smoke the lot.

but I won't obviously.

It's going really well thanks! Today is day 19 without a fag and I'm amazed at myself. I had a "moment" at about half 3 in the morning the other week where I was scrambling for a fag out of my mate's baccy pouch and another mate was like "mate don't cave, if you're craving just have a drag on my ciggie...". So I did and I coughed my fucking guts up and it gave me a massive headrush. It was so weird... haven't had as much as a puff since.

I don't crave nicotine any more but I hate being a non-smoker. Hate it hate it hate it. I miss smoking more than you could ever know and also, when I got drunk for the first time post-quitting it was the first time I'd ever been drunk in my life without having a cigarette at the same time! Such a strange feeling but one which will, ultimately, lead me to feeling better.

I'd say having the odd fag every now again doesn't make you a 'smoker' so that means that you're quitting's going pretty well, if not perfect. 3 fags a month ain't gonna be detrimental to your health either so tell those people to fuck off and give them a fuck off from me too!

(Although if you do go out and buy 20 Marlboro Reds, pick me up a pack too... my God this is tough :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:41 am 
Wurzel's moth felcher

pol pot noodle wrote:
i'd strongly recommend the allan carr book. his argument is that most people's attempts to quit smoking fail because they still believe smoking is something they love and have to 'give up' for health reasons rather than because they want to.

he claims the only reason people find it hard to stop are purely psychological (as nicotime leaves your body within three days). so yeah, his thing is to tackle all those psychological reasons.

anyway, just trust me on this, the man's a fucking genius. read it!!

Apparently that book is so horrible to read and irritating and preachy and repetitive and just... argh, but that's why it works! It breaks you down! I saw an amazon customer review saying "The only thing that's stopping me getting back on the fags is knowing that I'm going to have to read this fucking book again..." :lol:

(P.S. Did I see you going into Camden Town tube at about 7pm last night pol? If it wasn't you have a very convincing doppelganger!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 am 
Kev's growler tester

it's true the original allan carr book was a pretty turgid read, as the bloke wasn't a writer. but it's been updated and edited a few times since and is much better as a result.

yes, i can see some people might find his style a bit grating, but i don't think he's preachy at all. i just think what he says is really fucking wise. and if you are genuinely serious about wanting to stop then you'd be mad not to read it. he's got something like a 98% success rate!!

and yes, it probably was me you saw last night. i'm working in camden this week. did the 'dr martins sale this way' placard suit me? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Yeah it looked fucking HOT!

I may well give Carr's book a read then! I'm a stubborn little bugger though so he's gonna have to be pretty good to break me down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:41 pm 

Obviously its terrible but I thought it was rather amusing when Allan Carr died of lung cancer - he may as well have kept smoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:47 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Yeah didn't he smoke like 100 a day for 30 years or something ridiculous? No wonder his lungs were susceptible to that... I think he also said that quitting smoking made him "the happiest man alive" or something so cancer or no cancer, it made him happier... Can't argue with that.

I think quitting is making me happier too! No longer do I sit there worrying about my health or getting miserable about being a 24 year old lad who can't sleep at night some times because he's short of breath...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:59 pm 

Westie wrote:
I think he also said that quitting smoking made him "the happiest man alive" or something so cancer or no cancer, it made him happier... Can't argue with that.

He's hardly going to say that quitting made him depressed 'cos then noone would buy his book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 pm 

I take it you're not talking about the goofy bloke on friday night project then?