SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 am 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

Apart from Bono and the bloke out of The Enemy.

The aronym PMSL.

a) It's not an acronym. An acronym is a set of initials which spell another word. PMSL isn't a word. LOL could probably count as one.

b) PMSL stands for Pissing Myself Laughing. Unless I'm completely stupid the initials of Pissing Myself Laughing are PML - not PMSL.

PMSL would be Pissing Myself Self Laughing. And that makes no sense.

Sorry, sometimes you just wake up in a bad mood.

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:14 am 
Anarchy's gimp

I know what you mean. I've got a workmate who always adds an 's' to names of people without an 's', i.e. Charlie Adams, John Simms. God, that grinds my gears.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:26 am 
Kev's growler tester

Devilish Red wrote:
I know what you mean. I've got a workmate who always adds an 's' to names of people without an 's', i.e. Charlie Adams, John Simms. God, that grinds my gears.....

"Please also see Mary Hopkin. She must despair"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:27 am 

Devilish Red wrote:

Also when people add a 'the' to band names. Like The Doves or The Editors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 am 

Thee SPC wrote:
Devilish Red wrote:

"Please also see Mary Hopkin. She must despair"

I reckon Eds Chesters from The Bluetones has the problem reversed! I wonder how many times he's been called Ed Chester?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 am 
Anarchy's gimp

KevW wrote:
Also when people add a 'the' to band names. Like The Doves or The Editors.

Isn't that just an ironic way of dealing with the tossy pretentiousness of having dispensed with the definite article in the first place? But yeah, you're right - The Pixies, FFS.....

AND... it'll be done by people who actually should know better, as those bands originated in small indie circles, and who's more pernickety than indie fans when talking about 'their' bands...?

(Too many 'The...' bands, btw)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 am 
Anarchy's gimp

The audience clapping, as opposed to laughing, when some wag says something amusing - what is that all about???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm 

Devilish Red wrote:
The audience clapping, as opposed to laughing, when some wag says something amusing - what is that all about???

John McEnroe. Great tennis player - no doubt.

These exhibition matches. I saw one on TV a year or two back. The crowd were only there to hear him say "you cannot be serious!"

After a mildly debatable decision he came out with the phrase (and proved he was a very bad actor) "You cannot be serious! The ball was on the line!"

You could tell he was embarrassed about having to say it, but it was the cue for a round of applause from the crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 pm 
Anarchy's gimp

KevW wrote:
Devilish Red wrote:

John McEnroe. Great tennis player - no doubt.

These exhibition matches. I saw one on TV a year or two back. The crowd were only there to hear him say "you cannot be serious!"

After a mildly debatable decision he came out with the phrase (and proved he was a very bad actor) "You cannot be serious! The ball was on the line!"

You could tell he was embarrassed about having to say it, but it was the cue for a round of applause from the crowd.

What a difference the passing of time makes....

Don't get me wrong, not all clapping is inappropriate, but it just seems more common these days for a comedian to get a round of applause instead of a round of laughter, which in my book is more indicative of their funniness. Clap at the end FFS....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 pm 
Axe Wielding Maniac

People waving lighters at gigs.
People waving Iphones with lighter 'apps' at gigs.
People parking outside my house taking up the space of two cars so i can't park there. Wankers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:51 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
I'm with you on the PMSL one. Not only does it make no sense it's invariably thrown in after every comment which completely ruins the effect of any genuine humour. Mind you LOL is almost as bad.

I also hate people who use autocorrect on their phones but don't QR what it sends out so you get gibberish that you then have to either decipher or query back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:04 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
I also hate people who use autocorrect on their phones but don't QR what it sends out so you get gibberish that you then have to either decipher or query back.

I have no idea what that sentence means. But then I do own one of these... still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:43 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Kev - if you want me to send you a new* phone I'm more than happy to send you on of my old ones.

* I s ,it'll be about 10 years old but still far more modern than that shoebox with numbers painted on the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:50 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Kev - if you want me to send you a new* phone I'm more than happy to send you on of my old ones.

* I s ,it'll be about 10 years old but still far more modern than that shoebox with numbers painted on the front.

I have no problem with the phone I have but if you want me to try a different model that is going spare I'd be more than happy to! Post away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 pm 
Anarchy's gimp

Bus drivers who do that thing where they've pulled away from the stop by a miniscule distance and then got stuck in traffic, but they can't possibly open the doors to let anyone else on as it's against H&S, even though they're still basically at the bus stop...

Teenagers who have an aversion to fresh air and so close all the windows on the top deck - loudly.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:03 pm 

Devilish Red wrote:
Bus drivers who do that thing where they've pulled away from the stop by a miniscule distance and then got stuck in traffic, but they can't possibly open the doors to let anyone else on as it's against H&S, even though they're still basically at the bus stop...

Teenagers who have an aversion to fresh air and so close all the windows on the top deck - loudly.....

In my day we'd open all the windows on the top deck! That was where you had a "sly one" one the way home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:06 pm 
Anarchy's gimp

KevW wrote:
In my day we'd open all the windows on the top deck! That was where you had a "sly one" one the way home!

Having clicked what 'a sly one' refers to (phew), that's probably why the windows are now shut. Hmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 pm 

Devilish Red wrote:
KevW wrote:

Having clicked what 'a sly one' refers to (phew), that's probably why the windows are now shut. Hmm....

Yes, that was a bit ambiguous actually. The top deck was where you went for a cig/spliff.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:21 pm 
Beast with a Bass

KevW wrote:
The aronym PMSL.

a) It's not an acronym. An acronym is a set of initials which spell another word. PMSL isn't a word. LOL could probably count as one.

b) PMSL stands for Pissing Myself Laughing. Unless I'm completely stupid the initials of Pissing Myself Laughing are PML - not PMSL.

Whether or not PMSL is an acronym is a question of semantics (some dictionary definitions would allow it, others wouldn't) but it's certainly an established example of initialisation - unless you're claiming that all initialisation should form a word, in which case you must be driven mad by (eg) "BBC", "LSD", "CNN", "RSVP" etc etc.

Or are you annoyed by people who say PMSL is an acronym when they should say it's an example of initialisation? If so, erm, get a life.

And, no, the extension of PMSL is not "pissing myself self laughing" but "pissing my self laughing" - the term uncouples the portmanteau-word "myself" to make its reference slightly more obvious. Again, such liberties in the interest of convenience are fairly common, though they usually involve missing out initial letters used in the extended term - we say "laser", for example, not "labseor" ("Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation").

Basically, such things are purely a matter of convention and caprice. There is no single correct procedure for contracting a phrase into an abbreviated set of letters.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:37 pm 

Mrs Ray Flicker wrote:
KevW wrote:
The aronym PMSL.

Whether or not PMSL is an acronym is a question of semantics (some dictionary definitions would allow it, others wouldn't) but it's certainly an established example of initialisation - unless you're claiming that all initialisation should form a word, in which case you must be driven mad by (eg) "BBC", "LSD", "CNN", "RSVP" etc etc.

Or are you annoyed by people who say PMSL is an acronym when they should say it's an example of initialisation? If so, erm, get a life.

And, no, the extension of PMSL is not "pissing myself self laughing" but "pissing my self laughing" - the term uncouples the portmanteau-word "myself" to make its reference slightly more obvious. Again, such liberties in the interest of convenience are fairly common, though they usually involve missing out initial letters used in the extended term - we say "laser", for example, not "labseor" ("Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation").

Basically, such things are purely a matter of convention and caprice. There is no single correct procedure for contracting a phrase into an abbreviated set of letters.

Right. I get annoyed when things are claimed to be acronyms but aren't. Like RSPCA, RSPB etc. I also get annoyed at the needless splitting up of the word 'myself'.

As I said, these are small things that annoy me, which was the point of the thread. I doubt anyone's life wlil be changed by me not liking the word 'myself' being split in two.

Another minor irritation is people saying things like "this vodka is 80% proof."
Proof is not a percentage!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next