SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Middle Age
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:49 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
Now, I'm aware that a good few people here are older than me, even if only by a few years, but I turned 35 on Monday.

I remember a few years ago, my mate Mark (guitarist in Britpop also rans Powder) hit the same age and said he thinks that officially qualifies him as middle aged.

Again - no offence, but I'd hate to be referred to as middled aged, although...

Quote:
The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65.


So am I m***le a**d then?! This is all very worrying...

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:44 am 
Offline
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:48 pm
Posts: 3758
Location: Sheffield
No, you're not middle-aged, you're yet to earn those stripes young man.

On turning 40 I finally felt that I reached the age where my natural instincts matched expectations. This has definitely proved to be the case over the last few years. Middle-aged and proud.

_________________
Pukka Pie pest

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
40 sounds closer to being middle aged to me. But considering the terrifying speed I seemed to go from 30 to 35, that won't be long now!

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:37 am 
Offline
Mosh Monster

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:32 pm
Posts: 171
Remember maths class? *pipe lip-smacks* Specifically decimal points. When hitting .5 it was advisable to round off to the next whole number. That makes you 40 then, which is technically your fifth decade *Muttley laugh*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:11 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Posts: 6251
Location: Legra, Ēastseaxe
Does it even matter? You would been long gone for at least 5 years if you were in Logan's Run............

_________________
If Ian Curtis had lived, and enjoyed the ale…

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:32 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
marg wrote:
Remember maths class? *pipe lip-smacks* Specifically decimal points. When hitting .5 it was advisable to round off to the next whole number. That makes you 40 then, which is technically your fifth decade *Muttley laugh*



Pack it in, you!

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
Bola wrote:
Does it even matter?


Well in the grand scheme of things probably not, but I've always considered myself to be young, and the thought of getting old isn't something I've ever really looked forward to. 35 is still quite young, but when you hit a certain age you tend to reevaluate things, and for me, 35 is one of those ages...

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:06 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Posts: 6251
Location: Legra, Ēastseaxe
Well that's the same when you hit 21, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50. I haven't reached the last one yet!

_________________
If Ian Curtis had lived, and enjoyed the ale…

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
Bola wrote:
Well that's the same when you hit 21, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50. I haven't reached the last one yet!


Haha! Well, I have a few more to go :(

I didn't mind 21 or 25 really, in fact, 30 wasn't that bad. I think it's the association with the phrase "middle age" that I dislike. Mind you, most people on here act like big kids anyway!

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:15 pm 
Offline
Milchman's man milkmaid

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: not where i want to be
cliche city, but you are as old as you feel. I was active in music and sport into my 50s but the last 18 months I genuinely dont have the energy for midweek stuff any more and would rather sit at home with a good book.
BTW if that US census thing is right I have 1 more year until I am officially old

_________________
Rock n roll librarian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:30 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 6029
Location: Only 3 miles from space
jimgibb wrote:
cliche city, but you are as old as you feel. I was active in music and sport into my 50s but the last 18 months I genuinely dont have the energy for midweek stuff any more and would rather sit at home with a good book.
BTW if that US census thing is right I have 1 more year until I am officially old


It is a cliche but it's correct. I look at people I went to school with and so many of them look older than me, and also behave so. I have an 11 year old son, I'm married, but I still haven't really become an adult.

Also, you're a prime example of what I was talking about. I've never met you or anything, but I've read your posts on here and I'd have never guessed you were the age you say. I'd have probably gone for mid 30s to 40 if I had to guess!

_________________
Definitely isn't inbred...has the GCSEs to prove it!

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm 
Offline
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:48 pm
Posts: 3758
Location: Sheffield
KevW wrote:
jimgibb wrote:
cliche city, but you are as old as you feel. I was active in music and sport into my 50s but the last 18 months I genuinely dont have the energy for midweek stuff any more and would rather sit at home with a good book.
BTW if that US census thing is right I have 1 more year until I am officially old


It is a cliche but it's correct. I look at people I went to school with and so many of them look older than me, and also behave so. I have an 11 year old son, I'm married, but I still haven't really become an adult.

Also, you're a prime example of what I was talking about. I've never met you or anything, but I've read your posts on here and I'd have never guessed you were the age you say. I'd have probably gone for mid 30s to 40 if I had to guess!


Ha -you'd never guess to look at him either - he's either got a portrait in the attic or feeds on the blood of freshly slaughtered virgins every new moon. I know which my money's on.

_________________
Pukka Pie pest

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:50 pm 
Offline
Milchman's man milkmaid

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 1466
Location: not where i want to be
SPT wrote:

Ha -you'd never guess to look at him either - he's either got a portrait in the attic or feeds on the blood of freshly slaughtered virgins every new moon. I know which my money's on.


and it's just my problem, where do you find virgins in east london these days?

_________________
Rock n roll librarian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:08 pm 
Offline
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:48 pm
Posts: 3758
Location: Sheffield
jimgibb wrote:
SPT wrote:

Ha -you'd never guess to look at him either - he's either got a portrait in the attic or feeds on the blood of freshly slaughtered virgins every new moon. I know which my money's on.


and it's just my problem, where do you find virgins in east london these days?


Why do you think so many people on this board organise indie gigs?

_________________
Pukka Pie pest

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:02 pm 
Offline
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:14 am
Posts: 3516
Location: London
The internet told me (twice!) that I'm going to be dead by the age of 57 so I reached middle age when I was 28.

_________________
Tall, moustachioed alcoholic - plays firewood with a bow.

Goodbye, Faithful Kingdom!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group