SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Jabberwocky
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:14 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
is no more... bit short notice

http://aiforg.com/atp-cancel-weekends-jabberwocky-festival/

Post subject: Re: Jabberwocky
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 pm 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

Shame, but with around 80% of the population continuing to see their income fall, despite the supposed economic recovery, not surprising. I bet there are a fair few bands that have booked flights, accommodation etc. Doubt that they'll see their losses reimbursed.

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

milchman wrote:
[ ] Doubt that they'll see their losses reimbursed.

Don't bet on their punters seeing their losses (i.e. tickets) reimbursed either... (like myself).

This is the last time I ever give ATP/Wilwall/anything associated with Barry Hogan any money. I did so this time incredibly trepidatiously...

Think this is the end of them anyway. The last vestiges of their fanbase who trusted them will wane now. Not sure how they'll ever generate enough up front capital to ever stage any other events now... Shame. A real shame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:09 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

What is the deal with ATP? I know it costs money to put on shows but they must have an idea of demand etc.

Was never huge fan of their things anyway.

You should all go to the RAW POWER thing at the end of August. It'll be ace.

Quote:
On the 29 / 30 / 31 of August Baba Yaga's Hut is taking over The Dome & The Boston Arms in Tufnell Park for the second outing of RAW POWER.

Two stages, 3 days featuring some of the best psych heaviness, space rock, synth crazyness, left field electronica and much more.

Friday:

Clinic
The Oscillation
Thought Forms

Saturday:

Acid Mothers Temple
Teeth of the Sea
Richard Pinhas
Evil Blizzard
That Fucking Tank
Moon Gangs
Flamingods
Xaviers
Hey Colossus
Bad Guys
Shopping
Tomaga
Early Mammal
Shabash

Sunday:

Bo Ningen
Terminal Cheesecake
Black Moth
Young Husband
The Comet is Coming
Mainliner
Ela Orleans
Gum Takes Tooth
Henry Blacker
Girl Band
AKDK
Axes
Gentle Friendly
oMMM

DJ's:

Hung Drawn & Quartered (NTS)
Full House (NTS)
Ethan Saunders (NTS)
The Quietus
Nana Nicol (Resonance FM)
Teeth of the Sea (DJ)
Alien Jams (NTS)
Cacophonous Sarcophagus
Matt Ridout (Black Impulse)
Gary the Tall (NTS)

Plus an outdoor area with a BBQ, DJ's over both floors, giant merch area & more.

Weekender tickets are £50 but day tickets & two day passes are also available.

From the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/8853263 ... l_activity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Jabberwocky fall out shows announced.

Trev wrote:
You should all go to the RAW POWER thing at the end of August. It'll be ace.

Yep, need to get tickets for that Raw Power thing, apparently Anthony's having similar problems with sales.

Goodbye, Faithful Kingdom!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:00 am 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Vodka-Volauvent wrote:

Yep, need to get tickets for that Raw Power thing, apparently Anthony's having similar problems with sales.

Bought mine ages ago. Really hope it does well.

Makes me super chuffed that the Odd Box Weekender and the Helen Love all dayer both sold out this year!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:26 pm 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

Thee Oh Sees playing a couple of Jabberwocky replacement shows.
This Saturday at The Garage.
This Sunday at The Ace Hotel, Shoreditch.

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

What can they possibly gain?

From NME:

Quote:
A band have allegedly been asked by promoters All Tomorrow's Parties to pull out of a Jabberwocky festival replacement show due to 'contractual obligations'.

The Van Pelt were due to play The Shacklewell Arms in Hackney Downs, London, on Saturday (August 16) alongside Metz and Iceage, but a note posted on the event's Facebook page says that the band can no longer appear due to a deal made with the promoters of the failed festival. It reads: "We're very sad to say that The Van Pelt can't play this show now due to contractual obligations with ATP."

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:40 pm 

KevW wrote:

From NME:

Quote:
A band have allegedly been asked by promoters All Tomorrow's Parties to pull out of a Jabberwocky festival replacement show due to 'contractual obligations'.

The Van Pelt were due to play The Shacklewell Arms in Hackney Downs, London, on Saturday (August 16) alongside Metz and Iceage, but a note posted on the event's Facebook page says that the band can no longer appear due to a deal made with the promoters of the failed festival. It reads: "We're very sad to say that The Van Pelt can't play this show now due to contractual obligations with ATP."

Jesus, that's really low of ATP. I see ATP are pretty much putting on all the Jabberwocky fall out shows, what a ludicrous situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:28 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
KevW wrote:

From NME:

Quote:

Jesus, that's really low of ATP. I see ATP are pretty much putting on all the Jabberwocky fall out shows, what a ludicrous situation.

It looks terrible. It really does but... ATP are clearly in dire financial straits and have a frenzied imperative to recover as much money as they can from the fallout. It's another nail in the coffin for people like me though. As I said upthread I wouldn't give them another penny even if they brought Nick Drake back from the dead and put him on. To be honest I shouldn't have bought a Jabberwocky ticket because of my ethical concerns with their 'phoenixing' last time (including owing the Union Chapel tens of thousands of pounds).

Exciting times for other promoters like EYOE, Bird on the Wire etc. though. If ATP/Wilwall fold there'll be a lot more bands looking for reliable London promoters. Maybe even SoundsXP will have a shout at putting Neutral Milk Hotel on next time ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:14 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

http://www.atpfestival.com/newsview/1408151434.php

A new statement from ATP - contradicting most of what has been said already:

Quote:
In the past 72 hours there have been many accusations thrown at ATP and some so vindictive that we feel it necessary to defend our position.

Firstly, the claim that ATP has received all the funds for Jabberwocky is not true. We have not received a payment from Dash for more than two months. Any advances from the sales before that, went straight into event costs such as various artist fees and venue hire. But we have not received all the funds for Jabberwocky sales from Dash, and for them to make statements on their social media saying we have in fact received all these funds is simply not true. If that was the case, then we would not have struggled to stage the event.

As per their Terms & Conditions at the time Jabberwocky went on sale, we were always under the impression that in the event of a cancellation; all refunds would be processed by Dash, as the funds were sent directly to Dash's PayPal account - not ATPs. Since then, Dash's Terms & Conditions have changed on their website without our knowledge, well after Jabberwocky was on-sale, in an attempt to reflect no responsibility for the payments accepted into their PayPal account.

We know you are angry, and quite rightly so as you are hearing contradictory information concerning the source of your refunds - we are NOT trying to pass the buck, but any funds we did receive from Dash are tied up in the cancelled event and we too have lost considerable amounts of money. But we are petitioning Dash and working closely and restlessly with Paypal to ensure all customers receive their full due amount.

Secondly, the PR firm we originally engaged for Jabberwocky, Zeitgeist, felt it was necessary to announce to the world that they were taking legal action against us. What they neglected to mention was that we actually terminated their services for doing a disappointingly substandard job on the Jabberwocky press campaign and are in a legal dispute with them over the amount owed. When we dismissed them, they also started circulating rumours that Jabberwocky was in trouble, which of course did not help with advance sales and unfortunately, became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We are trying to get everyone refunded as soon as possible and honour all bands agreements. We have tried to assist in organising shows this weekend so all the door money goes to the artists to help pay their fee due for Jabberwocky and ensure that they are not out of pocket. The rumours that we stopped a band from playing a show because of a contractual obligation is also untrue. They assure us that they had not confirmed a show with another venue and were happy to book a show assisted by us in order to help secure their immediate expenses for the weekend and go towards the original fee that they were offered, which is being honoured.

If people want to continue slinging mud at us, we can't stop them, but we would ask that you pause to think about what it takes for a company of our size to continue to exist in the current music climate, and question if you really believe that there was some machiavellian intent to rip off music fans that we have given so many years of our life to, whilst trying to survive and deliver quality shows. If anyone out there says they believe in what we do; now is the time to support us more than ever, rather than letting others try and kick us while we are down.

We are devastated the event didn't happen. It has always been a dream to finally get together two of our long time friends - Pitchfork & Primavera - and Jabberwocky was to be this dream realised. We have all worked tirelessly for almost a year on this, and so of course, tried absolutely everything in our power to stage it right up to the very moment that there were no options left other than this absolute last resort.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 pm 

...and now, it has spawned this: http://fallout2015.wordpress.com/buy-tickets/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:23 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
...and now, it has spawned this: http://fallout2015.wordpress.com/buy-tickets/

Sweet JESUS they need to work on their messaging. They have given me absolutely no indication as to what they'd do with my money if I gave it to them.

Think I'd trust ATP with my money rather than that lot. Whoever they are (which is part of the problem).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

Westie wrote:
Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
...and now, it has spawned this:

Sweet JESUS they need to work on their messaging. They have given me absolutely no indication as to what they'd do with my money if I gave it to them.

Think I'd trust ATP with my money rather than that lot. Whoever they are (which is part of the problem).

Hi Westie,

I agree that's the main problem, we are having a few issues getting the message across! We are working on what little time we have had (it's only two weeks since JW!). All questions that have popped up all over the internet we are trying to address.

We are open to all suggestions, we are currently working through the wording on our site and setting up a Kickstarter fund. We want to be honest from the start, so as a result can't come up with any promises of ANYTHING, but as time goes on and our funds start coming in we will be able to share more, get more people involved etc.

I know for sure it will be something that people will want to get their teeth into. At the moment we are happy to receive any criticism (no matter what form it takes) however it is delivered because all it will do is drive us to make our festival better!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:32 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Nodwell wrote:
Westie wrote:
Vodka-Volauvent wrote:
...and now, it has spawned this:

Hi Westie,

I agree that's the main problem, we are having a few issues getting the message across! We are working on what little time we have had (it's only two weeks since JW!). All questions that have popped up all over the internet we are trying to address.

We are open to all suggestions, we are currently working through the wording on our site and setting up a Kickstarter fund. We want to be honest from the start, so as a result can't come up with any promises of ANYTHING, but as time goes on and our funds start coming in we will be able to share more, get more people involved etc.

I know for sure it will be something that people will want to get their teeth into. At the moment we are happy to receive any criticism (no matter what form it takes) however it is delivered because all it will do is drive us to make our festival better!

Hi!

So what is it you actually want to do? Raise a load of money to put on a big weekender festival a la Jabberwocky? Pretty noble, in essence, but what happens if I give you money towards it and I don't like any of the bands that end up playing? What sort of venue size are you looking at? What sort of staff and promoters are working for you etc. etc.?

Think transparency is the key here. But everything starts from an idea, always...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 am 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

Think this is the end of them anyway. The last vestiges of their fanbase who trusted them will wane now. Not sure how they'll ever generate enough up front capital to ever stage any other events now... Shame. A real shame.