SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: World Cup 2014 Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 pm 
Rock n Roll God

How's everyone finding this World Cup?

I have to say, from simply a footy point of view I am absolutely loving it. It's served up some fantastic games in the often dull group stages thus far and I've found myself watching every game. Or at least having every game on and half watching it while sitting playing guitar!

Regarding England, I was proud of our younger players against Italy - even though we were predictably outclassed in the middle of the park, it was so strange to watch us being the faster, brighter, more attacking team against a World heavyweight.

Can't wait for the Uruguay game, which is basically a knockout game. Also REALLY looking forward to the Spain Chile match tomorrow, which after Spain's utter mauling by Van Gaal's Holland is basically a knock out match as well, for Spain at least.

I've watched every World Cup since 1990, and I honestly think this is right up there as possibly the best World Cup I've seen *thus far*.

Hope you lot are enjoying it too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Yep. Though I've seen way less than half the games. Work rules out the 5pms mostly and 11pms were never a runner (England excepted).

2002 ( when I took a fortnight off and watched the whole group stage) was the last time a world cup started this well, but then had a v cagey knock out stage.

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 am 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

I don't know why, but I've not been able to get at all excited about it. Have ended up watching only a few games and even then finding my mind drifting off to other things during the games. It's not that the football hasn't been good; quite the contrary.
I've always preferred club football, but still normally get drawn into the big international tournaments. It may be because the World Cup normally follows four years of going to watch Spurs play, but I had to give up going to away games about five years ago, because of the high financial costs and two years ago, gave up my season ticket for home games for the same reason. Now mainly watch games on dodgy internet feeds. Maybe this has subconsciously taken some of the joy out of football for me. Maybe the constant feed of news stories about the corrupt bidding process for the next two World Cups and more than a hundred deaths of slave labourers from the Indian sub-continent working on infrastructure for the Qatar World Cup, all adding to a well documented history of corruption within FIFA, have also subconsciously affected my love of the game.
I did enjoy the ITV4 coverage of the Isle Of Mann TT races more than ever, this year. Again, this wasn't something I was consciously aware of at the time, but maybe part of the reason is that road racing is one of the few sports still closely connected to it's origins, as it has not been infected by a huge corporate takeover, unlike, say, Formula One or the World Cup. Also, all it's participants are racers, not celebrities, with only Guy Martin having any media profile outside of the sport.
Maybe by the time it reaches the knock-out stage, I will have been drawn into it, but currently, I'm fairly nonplussed.

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:22 am 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

It's been a bit hit and miss for me. Whilst I have really enjoyed some games I have been mainly bored by others and have either turned over or turned off. Like Milchy I too have been turned off in part by the corruption issues surrounding the game. Anyone else think there is a chance FIFA will split if Blatter is re-elected?

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:07 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

I'm with Hwhh's. We are loving it. Loving it. I found England so much more exciting to watch and they appeared more confident despite the loss.
My son, in particular, is really caught up in it.
Can't wait for tomorrow's game. There have been some surprising twists and turns and I am sure there are more to come.

Cavey Cocker, Cup Cake Queen, Saint Thomas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:34 pm 
Mosh Monster

We're all supporting England over here on the Island. All credit to Queen Lizzie for fostering friendship between our two nations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Some good games at the start, some pretty ropey ones the last few days.

I enjoyed the England game, too. Especially the result. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:02 pm 
Rock n Roll God

And Spain are out after two matches. Incredible stuff.

Chile are ace.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:37 am 
Rock n Roll God

And England are out after two matches. Incredible stuff.

Costa Rica are ace...

I'm a little gutted, though now free to simply enjoy the World Cup as a neutral.

Though I have to say, watching Luis Suarez literally crying tears of joy as if he'd just won the WC for Uruguay and then criticising the treatment he's received in/from England (!!!) left me with clenched teeth and fists. I take some solace in knowing that his tournament will end, without doubt, with him stumbling around a pitch and crying tears of disappointment.

The goals just keep flying in, I'm wondering whether any WC has ever had this many goals scored at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:26 am 

My allegiance has turned to the Dutch. Robben and RVP are looking big threats. Plus they seem to be able to concede which always makes for a good game! Shame that chap who's linked with Man Utd was stretchered off. Don't know him that well. He set up RVP's header with a rather terrific ball though.

Big shock about England. Very surprised we didn't get a point at least from those 2 matches. Italy are hardly looking good, but then we've got no defense. Argue all you want about where/whether Rooney should have played (personally I'd have started him at #10 for both games), but that's what cost us, not our attack. Sturridge was ace in the friendlies and the Italy game, but he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo against Uruguay. Not sure why he was playing out wide so much when he's so lethal in the area. Tactical mistake? Or just him wandering out of position? Ah well, not much we can do about it now.

Come on the guys in blue! (Hopefully they're allowed to play in the regular orange at some point...)

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:02 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
I can't support the Dutch as long as Robben is playing. Fantastic player but you only need to fart vaguely in his direction and he does a triple pike roll.

Overall I guess I'm enjoying it but three matches a day leaves you constantly worrying that you're missing something so you keep watching... and watching... and watching... It's all been better than 2010 though. The group stages in SA were not that great, particularly those involving England. This England team is far more likeable than the ones that preceded it. Far less personalities and a more skilful attacking philosophy. Not good enough, obviously, but as a re-brand I like it.

Marg - is there really some positivity towards the England team in the Emerald Isle?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:35 pm 

As the Bundesliga is my favourite league (after Division One of course) I will follow the Germans for the rest of the tournament despite Mueller's antics - hang on that was against Portugal so that's alright!!!

C'mon Angleland (or summat like that.....)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:23 pm 
Mosh Monster

Bovine Juice wrote:
Marg - is there really some positivity towards the England team in the Emerald Isle?

There's definitely less overt hostility, and my nephews (late teens) were supporting them. Progress. All credit to ordinary folk getting on, and the largest immigrant group living in the country being English. Can't give Lizzie the rossette for that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 pm 
Rock n Roll God

Awesome World Cup, just gets better and better. Everyone's delivering.

Good to see FIFA come down swiftly on Suarez' latest disgraceful act. Slightly lenient in ban length, but good to see them act fast.

Last edited by He Who Hears Horses on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
It's been fantastic. Tonight's Portugal v Ghana was great. Two teams going for it, both knowing that a draw was no good. I worry that it might all end with the knockouts but we can hope

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:42 pm 

Greece v Holland, if it happens... the only time it would leave the halfway line would be to kick off. #AlwaysCounterAttackingIsDull

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 am 
Rock n Roll God

Bovine Juice wrote:
Greece v Holland, if it happens... the only time it would leave the halfway line would be to kick off. #AlwaysCounterAttackingIsDull

Costa Rica v Holland will be an absolute gem of a game. And Columbia v Brazil is gonna be a cracker too.

Such a great World Cup thus far. Late goals, great goals, controversy, under-dogs pushing the big boys hard, the end of tiki-taka - it's brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:58 am 

FATAL ERROR!

Was knackered last night and have a busy day today, so I got into bed and half watched, half listened to the Greece Costa Rica game. I set the timer on the TV to switch it off around the end of the game, which it did, probably around the 89 minute mark.

Woke up this morning and have literally just done a massive WTF!?! all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:25 pm 

I am sure the referee will see Brazil safely through this evening.