[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums • View topic - Classic Album: Psychocandy by The Jesus And Mary Chain

SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:40 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

I first heard this record in 1986. I was 16.

Who cares if it repeats a little? Who cares that the bands detractors sneer that they never followed it up with anything worthwhile? (They did, but that's a different post). This record kicks, screams, punches and bites like a feral youth that's been forced fed energy drinks. I've been playing this record for the past 27 years. Constantly. It doesn't get old. It doesn't even sound less threatening and brilliant with each passing year. The band crafted something beautiful and awe inspiring with their limited 'technical' skills. This is a record that a musician couldn't even dream of making.

Side 1
1. "Just Like Honey" 3:03
2. "The Living End" 2:16
3. "Taste the Floor" 2:56
4. "The Hardest Walk" 2:40
5. "Cut Dead" 2:47
6. "In a Hole" 3:02
7. "Taste of Cindy" 1:42

Side 2
1. "Never Understand" 2:57
2. "Inside Me" 3:09
3. "Sowing Seeds" 2:50
4. "My Little Underground" 2:31
5. "You Trip Me Up" 2:26
6. "Something's Wrong" 4:01
7. "It's So Hard" 2:37

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2nJWNgZBA

The band were aiming high too. They weren't happy to be an 'indie' band. They were on the cover of Smash Hits and No.1 as well as the weekly inkies.

Last edited by Trev on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:43 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Very purist. Even my dodgy old cassette version (which literally fell apart) had Some Candy Talking snuck in at the end of side 1.

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:45 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:47 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
I remember hearing Never Understand as a single and thinking W-O-W. I went off them a tad after that though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:50 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

I actually think some of the later stuff is as good. Far Gone And Out, Sometimes Always, Cracking Up... it's just that this was the first and possibly most consistent.

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:53 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:53 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:54 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:03 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

and yeah, my version of MUNKI would look like this:

Side One

1. I Love Rock N Roll
2. Birthday
3. Stardust Remedy
4. Fizzy
5. Moe Tucker
6. Hide Myself
7. Cracking Up

Side Two
1. Supertramp
2. Never Understood
3. I Can't Find The Time For Times
4. Man On The Moon
5. 40,000K
6. Rocket
7. Dream Lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 pm 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

Great album!
The Edsel double CD reissue of Psycho Candy has this picture featured quite prominently in it's packaging. Some of you might recognise the blighter reaching his right hand out towards the stage.

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:19 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

Have seen that pic before but never clocked that was you Milchy.

My first time seeing them was when I was 17. Bristol. A bus ran from Swansea. Like they used to do when BIG ROCK BANDS toured. Me and the then girlfriend went. We got battered on cheap booze on the way up. She kinda passed out just as The Mary Chain were coming on the stage - a mate grabbed me as I was bombing down to the front and said your girlfriend passed out. I carried on towards the front. Awww, the flushes of young love.

The Mary Chain were fucking rubbish that night. I've since seen them 25 (or more) times. I was hooked.

Last edited by Trev on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:26 pm 

REVOLUTION PURITY LOVE SUICIDE ACCURACY

http://www.thesoundofconfusion.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:28 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Actually that would have been brilliant if you had done the white square routine on the pic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 pm 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

Several pictures by Andrew Caitlin from this gig at the Ambulance station appeared in the press. I'm in most of them. Here's a couple more:

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:43 am 

Great album. I first saw that around this time - My interest in them waned after Darklands but thanks to SPOTIFY Trev I have listened to, enjoyed and purchased the most of the back catalogue in physical form in the past year.

The vinyl package is a tad too far for me though as I have the best ones (or the ones I condier the best) on vinyl already!

- -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm 
Milchman's man milkmaid

Its a great record but I haven't listened to it in a decade, whereas Darklands is a top ten of all time for me and gets a regular airing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:45 pm 
Wurzel's moth felcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 pm 
Chinstroker

I'm new and I'm interested in this topic. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

I always liked to look at these photos, if there is an opportunity, invest more, thanks!