SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums
http://www.soundsxp.com/forum/

Small things that really wind you up
http://www.soundsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15601
Page 6 of 8

Author:  Johnny Anarchy [ Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Shands wrote:
The Hairy Bikers


I actually don't mind the Hairy Bikers and their enthusiasm for mums' cooking. The thing that annoys me about them is that the camera always pans away after they've taken a single spoonful of food. You know from the size of them that they don't stop after one taste but keep going till all the pie is eaten, all the custard drained, and the film crew have had to bring out the reserve meals. I'd call the show "the Wheely Fat Bastards".

Author:  Shands [ Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Shands wrote:
The Hairy Bikers


I actually don't mind the Hairy Bikers and their enthusiasm for mums' cooking. The thing that annoys me about them is that the camera always pans away after they've taken a single spoonful of food. You know from the size of them that they don't stop after one taste but keep going till all the pie is eaten, all the custard drained, and the film crew have had to bring out the reserve meals. I'd call the show "the Wheely Fat Bastards".


:D That I like.

Personally I think BBC 2 could replace the current hairy incumbents with Elmo and Cookie Monster without the slightest continuity issue...and if while they're at it they want to get The Count involved with Flog It then all the better!

Author:  Devilish Red [ Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Has anyone mentioned fellow passengers on the bus sniffing every few seconds just over your left shoulder? I'm beginning to think I'm being stalked by the same miscreant who refuses to buy a pack of tissues - even the tone of the sniff seems familiar now :x :x :x :x :x

Author:  KevW [ Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 am ]
Post subject: 

That TV advert for a window fitting company where Craig Doyle explains some of the different types of window that the window fitting company can fit, then says

"Be honest, you weren't expecting Everest to be doing that today, were you!"

YES. THEY'RE A FUCKING WINDOW FITTING COMPANY. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EXPECT THEM TO BE DOING?

Author:  Thee SPC [ Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

KevW wrote:
That TV advert for a window fitting company where Craig Doyle explains some of the different types of window that the window fitting company can fit, then says

"Be honest, you weren't expecting Everest to be doing that today, were you!"

YES. THEY'RE A FUCKING WINDOW FITTING COMPANY. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EXPECT THEM TO BE DOING?


:D :lol:

Author:  KevW [ Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

People who call the top Italian football division "Seria A" IT'S SERIE A.

Author:  SPT [ Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

KevW wrote:
People who call the top Italian football division "Seria A" IT'S SERIE A.


But don't the Italians effectively pronounce both the i and the e separately, making 'seria' not a bad approximation? (more like say rayay a)


(that's a genuine question btw - I don't know Italian)

Author:  KevW [ Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I should have made that a bit clearer. "Seria" would be fine to say as it's the same as Serie A pronunciation wise. But when people talk about SERIA B it really winds me up. It's Serie B! Where are you getting Seria B from?

Author:  SPT [ Tue May 29, 2012 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Listening to italian pronunciation online, although run together a bit there's definitely two vowel sounds at the end of 'serie' , it is 'ser-ay-eh bay', so 'seria b' is at least as close, if not closer than 'seree b' (which is how the French would say it...)

Author:  KevW [ Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 am ]
Post subject: 

Well I've only ever noticed people in the pub and crap pundits saying Seria B whereas Italians generally say Serie B. BUt I don't speak Italian. I winds me up though!

Author:  Bovine Juice [ Thu May 31, 2012 7:34 am ]
Post subject: 

American words replacing our own.

Sneakers? Trainers!
Cupcakes? Fairycakes! (Yes Cavey, you're a fairycake queen!)

Author:  Shands [ Thu May 31, 2012 10:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Bovine Juice wrote:
American words replacing our own.

Sneakers? Trainers!
Cupcakes? Fairycakes! (Yes Cavey, you're a fairycake queen!)


I always thought they were two different things? Aren't Fairycakes smaller with just a little icing where as cupcakes are larger with the top completely covered by icing? Or am I once again talking complete rubbish?

Author:  KevW [ Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 am ]
Post subject: 

Shands wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
American words replacing our own.

Sneakers? Trainers!
Cupcakes? Fairycakes! (Yes Cavey, you're a fairycake queen!)


I always thought they were two different things? Aren't Fairycakes smaller with just a little icing where as cupcakes are larger with the top completely covered by icing? Or am I once again talking complete rubbish?


This was a debate on our local radio station a couple of days ago. They are too different things although some people were insisting cupcakes is an Americanism.

Another one was "can I get" instead of "may I have"

On Hotelier said that if people ever say "can I get..." he'd reply - "no I'll get it for you, it's my job".

Author:  Cavey [ Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Shands wrote:
I always thought they were two different things? Aren't Fairycakes smaller with just a little icing where as cupcakes are larger with the top completely covered by icing? Or am I once again talking complete rubbish?


Shands, it is obvious by your pic that you are a Connoisseur on such matters. You are of course entirely correct. Fairy cakes are a more subtle attempt at a handheld sized cake while cupcakes take it to another level. I have no doubt that fairycakes are more english than cupcakes but the two are very different and may they never meet.
Bovey, Cavey Cocker Fairycake queen just doesn't go. I need the C.

Author:  Bovine Juice [ Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think it's the E you need.

Add people who call the Premier LEague th ePRemiership to the list. One's footy the other is egg chasing...

Author:  Thee SPC [ Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I thought fairy cakes were when you cut the top off the cake, halved it and stuck the bits back into the icing, like little fairy wings?

Author:  KevW [ Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bovine Juice wrote:
I think it's the E you need.

Add people who call the Premier LEague th ePRemiership to the list. One's footy the other is egg chasing...



It was known as the FA Carling Premiership for a while though.

Author:  Cavey [ Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thee SPC wrote:
I thought fairy cakes were when you cut the top off the cake, halved it and stuck the bits back into the icing, like little fairy wings?


No that's butterfly cakes, Thee. Oh God I am so sad.

The last thing I need is an E, Bov.

Author:  Westie [ Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

KevW wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
I think it's the E you need.

Add people who call the Premier LEague th ePRemiership to the list. One's footy the other is egg chasing...



It was known as the FA Carling Premiership for a while though.


Yeah I find myself calling it the Premiership for that very reason...

Author:  KevW [ Thu May 31, 2012 3:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think I mainly call it the Premier League, but if someone says Premiership I generally assume football anyway due to my complete indifference to all things Rugby (apart from Spacemen 3).

Page 6 of 8 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/