SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The new movie thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 pm 
Waxing Cavey's lady beard

marg wrote:
The Armstrong Lie
No sex except for Armstrong's intense love affair with himself. Most of the footage centres on his '09 comeback spliced with post doping revelation contrition, which never once veers close to sincerity. Compelling in its own head-scratching way.

Compulsive viewing but would have liked more about his bullying of the likes of Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreau and Fillippo Simeoni. Armstrong was clearly the most successful of many cheats in cycling, but it's his bullying particularly of O'Reilly that makes him so loathesome.
There's a quote from him in his book It's Not About The Bike about how he would never dope as it would be a betrayal of all those cancer sufferers who have supported him; would like to have seen Oprah confront him with that quote.

2nd verse same as the 1st...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm 
Mosh Monster

Only a smidgen of David Walsh, too. Which is why I've embarked on Seven Deadly Sins. It's time I got over this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm 

marg wrote:
Only a smidgen of David Walsh, too. Which is why I've embarked on Seven Deadly Sins. It's time I got over this one.

Excellent book, I maybe would have rated the film higher had I not read it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 am 

There's another Armstrong documentary showing at the East End Film Festival next Sunday and at Sheffield Doc Fest, today and tomorrow. It's called Stop At Nothing. It's probably destined to fade into obscurity, by virtue of the fact that it's coming out after The Armstrong Lie, but word of mouth on it is pretty good. If any of you go, let me know what it's like, as I can't make it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:07 pm 
Mosh Monster

Was I alone in hating Inside Llewyn Davis?

I like my Coen characters as adrift as the next fan, but this is was just irritating.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
marg wrote:

I like my Coen characters as adrift as the next fan, but this is was just irritating.

I was a wee bit disappointed but still enjoyed it.

Watched Honour a few nights ago. Unpleasant but fascinating and The Double which was good stylistically but average overall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 am 

marg wrote:

I found the character unsympathetic, but didn't find that made the film less enjoyable; and, if nothing else, the John Goodman's character's reply to Llewyn Davis telling him that his partner had thrown himself off the George Washington Bridge was worth the price of admission alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:07 pm 
Mosh Monster

Can't please everyone.

Just read John Cusack will play Brian Wilson in a film next year. That's a hard one to reconcile mentally at this stage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:32 pm 
Mosh Monster

What say the soundsxpers of Mistaken for Strangers? I farking loved it. Far from the reverent portrait I was expecting.

Don't tell me, you've already discussed it on page 3..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:57 pm 

marg wrote:
What say the soundsxpers of Mistaken for Strangers? I farking loved it. Far from the reverent portrait I was expecting.

Don't tell me, you've already discussed it on page 3..

Currently only showing in two London cinemas. Curzon Soho, where it's £13.75 a ticket. The only working class people you'll see there are the ones who work there on zero hours contracts and the ones up on the screen in Ken Loach films; so that counts me out. It's also at the ICA. Love the ICA, and it's prices are reasonable (0nly £6 on Tuesdays) but all currently advertised screenings of Mistaken For Strangers are in cinema 2, which is about the size of a shoebox. So, I'm waiting for the one off screening at The Lexi, a nice little independent cinema in Kensal rise on July 14th.

Should I have just said "Not seen it Yet"?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:09 pm 
Mosh Monster

You could give it a year and pop into the Prince Charles instead. Doubt it'll make Peckham for the "£2.99 all day every day" deal. Is it £2.99? A gem. The only audience in London who applauded when Bridget Jones was freed from that Thai jail. Working class solidarity at its finest.

I was hoping you wouldn't like it so I could tell you why you're wrong. I'm feeling out of sorts today. A condition usually best dealt with through mild passive aggression.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:38 pm 

milchman wrote:
There's another Armstrong documentary showing at the East End Film Festival next Sunday and at Sheffield Doc Fest, today and tomorrow. It's called Stop At Nothing. It's probably destined to fade into obscurity, by virtue of the fact that it's coming out after The Armstrong Lie, but word of mouth on it is pretty good. If any of you go, let me know what it's like, as I can't make it.

Stop At Nothing was on BBC4 last night, shown under it's full title, Lance Armstrong: Stop At Nothing.
Like The Armstrong Lie, there are things I'd have liked to have heard more about, particularly the bullying of Fillippo Simeoni and Christophe Bassons, which weren't mentioned at all. Having said that it's well worth seeing and makes a good companion piece to both The Armstrong Lie and David Walsh's book Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong. Particularly interesting to see Emma O'Reily interviewed in light of her subsequent conciliation with Armstrong (Armstrong has written the forward to O'Reilly's new book The Race To Truth in which she is said to be a lot more sympathetic to Armstrong than Walsh, who she accuses of hanging her out to dry).
It's on the BBC I-Player for 6 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 pm 
Mosh Monster

Must have a gander. I see The Armstrong Lie was on last week on Channel 4; might still be available for viewing. Senna is on tonight on BBC.

Thinking of sauntering along to Richard Linklater's Boyhood tomorrow. Quite the experiment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Watched Calvary this week. Stunning scenery, great characters, interesting plotline and... *NO SPOILERS HERE*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:29 am 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Watched Calvary this week. Stunning scenery, great characters, interesting plotline and... *NO SPOILERS HERE*

Possible spoiler alert!
Did anyone else immediately recognise the voice of the actor making the anonymous phone call at the begining of the film?
Not that it particularly spoilt my enjoyment though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 pm 

milchman wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:

Possible spoiler alert!
Did anyone else immediately recognise the voice of the actor making the anonymous phone call at the begining of the film?

I did but then started to get confused when another character was acting far more aggressively.

Watched Under The Skin last night about an alien, playedby Scarlett Johansen, who wanders around Scotland, preying on lonely single men. Was ok and I'm not going to be critical of a film where Scarlett gets her kit off, but can't say as I'd recommend it to readily.

And a couple of nights ago I started to watch, and gave up on, Benny and Jolene, a fairly cringeworthy comedy, mainly set in Wales, about a pair of musicians just starting out on a musical career. It was riddled with obvious gags and cliched industry storylines and was utterly embarrassing, sadly. Some decent actors blotted their CV with that one.

I've now got the Viv Albertine flick Exhibition and Locke with Tom Hardy to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:25 am 
Mosh Monster

milchman wrote:

Was it Kenneth Williams?

Watched Begin Again earlier. I feel slightly dirty for being slightly charmed by it. A surprisingly OK love-letter to music. That Kiera Kneightly one though. An ironing board or a poor man's Natalie Portman?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:48 pm 
cRaZy cat with the bongos

Bovine Juice wrote:
milchman wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:

Possible spoiler alert!

I did but then started to get confused when another character was acting far more aggressively.

Watched Under The Skin last night about an alien, playedby Scarlett Johansen, who wanders around Scotland, preying on lonely single men. Was ok and I'm not going to be critical of a film where Scarlett gets her kit off, but can't say as I'd recommend it to readily.

I loved Under The Skin; I thought it was creepy, seductive and wonderfully strange.
The soundtrack is stunning too.

I recently watched Calvary – didn’t think the denouement was necessary at all and would’ve preferred the “who’s gonna do it?” issue to be nothing but a red herring (it kind of was anyway). Still enjoyed it though.

Also saw The Golden Dream (Guatemalan kids attempt to cross the US / Mexican border) which is pretty harrowing at times but very good nonetheless.
Yesterday I watched Boyhood; I thought certain scenes worked really well, and Hawke / Arquette superb throughout, but I’m not sure how much my enjoyment was tied to how the film was made (shot over 12 years) as opposed to the film itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 pm 
Mosh Monster

Still haven't see Boyhood and compulsively breaking one of my cardinal rules by having a sneaky peek at the reviews. If I spot a three star, I permit myself a quick cursory glance at the final paragraph. Don't try this at home.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 am 

Watched Locke and Exhibition at the weekend. Locke was excellent - story of a man suffering the breakdown of his career, marriage and the birth of a child all through his eyes and ears while travelling in a car. Tom Hardy is great as the only person you see and loads of terrific supporting performances as the voices. Quickest 90 minutes I've ever spent.

Exhibition starring our very own Viv Albertine however was dull - no fault of hers but the story captures a boring marriage and flat sale in tedious detail. Slowest 105 minutes I've ever spent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next