SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: The New Sex Pistols
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:43 pm 
Bola on the bongos

Everyone is going on about Pete Doherty from the Libertines likeness to Sid Vicious but the one thing I am getting from all this is the presence of someone living out their Malcolm McLaren fantasy.

Thats right people Alan McGee is the new Malcolm McLaren, he tried his hardest to promote the infighting and controversy with Oasis but for all their bragging the Gallagher brothers aren't very different to you and I.

The first chance he has had to sink his teeth into The Libertines and they are getting articles by Dominic Mohan in The Sun, they had had very little success commercially at this point despite virgin rotating Don't Look Back Into The Sun every other song, a track that isn't even on the album.

Both Babyshambles and The Libertines are touring, both are affiliated with Rough Trade and Alan McGee gets to act pupppetmaster. John Lydon has often mentioned it was Malcolm encouraging the chaos to get the rubberneckers into the band I can't see how that isn't the case now.

Maybe job done sales wise, a number one album which isn't that great. It's an interesting listen to listen out for the sounds of the implosion but to me it sounds like out-takes from the 1st album or crudely written new tracks. Having seen The Libertines play awfully and superbly with Pete, and look as if they were just going through the motions at Reading they don't have to be amazing musically if you think you have seen an event. For example Stone Roses at Spike Island everyone acknowledges was a crap sound but it still inspired people and lives in the memory.

I would not be at all surprised to see this dragged out and when the media interest starts to diminish a certain Mr McGee getting them to play as the original 4 some again.

Anyways sorry for the rant just think we are being duped into being interested into a band that, in my humble opinion can be awesome but, for the most part, are not that much above average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:49 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

The Alan McGee = Malcy theory I sort of agree with and I think there is a lot of manipulation of the Libs story going on. However, they were getting plenty of publicity beforehand, just all for their music. It's only been the drugs stuff that's got the necrophiliac tabloids interested (especially the stories that link drugs and sex like the "Pete made me his crack whore" stories a few months ago.

You mentioned Oasis but the real story with them was the feud with Blur. Now if McGee stage-managed that, he's a better PR person that he gives any indication of being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:21 pm 
The Blur/Oasis thing was (according to Eyebrow Snr) masterminded by Damon Albarn and Steve Sutherland the then editor of the NME to sell records/papers.

In the Sun today there was a report that some book company had paid Junkie Pete £30,000 for a novel and his memoirs. Here are a few extracts I've found online-

July 25th 2003

Got up, went to the lavatory (for 5 hours), phoned up my friend Dot Cotton to see what would get blood stains off a tweed trilby, went to Carl's, he wasn't in, decided it'd be funny if I broke into his place and waited in the dark for him to come home, then I'd spring out and surprise him...maybe we could write a song about it.

August 30th 2003

Somehow my hilarious prank has winded up with me "in chokey" just like my friend Dot Cotton's wayward son, Nick. It's not so bad in here. I get "snouts" (cigarettes) and "the screws" (Prison Guards) are quite nice really. Some people say I'm a real "Punk" and that I'm going to be the most popular boy on the wing!!!

February 26th 2004

Have recorded a song with Wolfman. It's quite good. Am a bit disappointed that Dracula and Frankenstein didn't turn up to the session though. This smack is delicious, although it is a bit more-ish!

June 9th 2004

Am off to Thailand thanks to my friend Dot Cotton. She says a holiday would do me good. I hope she and Jim will still have enough money to go to Southend this summer!

June 20th 2004

Bought a lovely duty free knife back from Thailand for my friend Dot Cotton's son Nick only to learn that a) he's a fictional character and b) he is dead. Hey ho! I think I'll keep it about my person and go for an erratic drive around London

August 30th 2004

The second Libertines lp is out today, but they've changed the running order without my consent! I had recorded the most touching version of "Puff the Magic Dragon" with Mick Jones on hurdy gurdy and my friend Dot Cotton on backing vocals. Sometimes I wonder why I bother!!!