SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Morphs Die In Hot Cars
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:11 pm 
Mosh Monster

I have terrible news about Morph, the plasticine character from kids' TV in the 80s.

An article in today's Daily Telegraph relates how the original Morph was given to Prof Graham Collingridge, director of the MRC Centre for Synaptic Plasticity at Bristol, in order to be used as a mascot at an event on "similarities between Plasticine and the 'plasticity' of the brain" organised by the British Association of Psychologists. Unfortunately he left Morph in his car on a hot day and when he returned...sob...oh I can't say it...he'd...he'd...he'd melted!

And these bloody professors think they know it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:57 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

Well at least it offers a new name for any indie band desperately searching for one- "Morph Dies in Hot Cars"....

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Morph
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 am 
Mosh Monster

SPT wrote:
Well at least it offers a new name for any indie band desperately searching for one- "Morph Dies in Hot Cars"....

Er, that was sort of my whole point - and even the title of this thread, you clot.

<sigh> I don't know why I bother sometimes.

Post subject: Re: Morph
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:05 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Muir wrote:
SPT wrote:

Er, that was sort of my whole point - and even the title of this thread, you clot.

Let's put it to the vote... who thinks Muir bothers...

*.....tumbleweed....*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:19 am 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

Bovine Juice wrote:
Muir wrote:
SPT wrote:

Let's put it to the vote... who thinks Muir bothers...

Well he bothers the hell out of me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:52 am 

:oops:

Must read thread titles.

Embrace the margin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:55 am 

SPT wrote:

Must read thread titles.

My eyes aren't focusing properly this morning. I read that as "thread titties".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:59 am 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
SPT wrote:

Must read thread titles.

My eyes aren't focusing properly this morning. I read that as "thread titties".

Congratulations, by not just thinking that, but posting it, you've managed the impressive feat of making me look relatively less foolish. (I originally typed "you've pulled off the impressive feat..." but feared for your colleagues)

Embrace the margin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:30 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
SPT wrote:
(I originally typed "you've pulled off the impressive feat..." but feared for your colleagues)

Aye, the resident Finbarrs (afternoon Toad and Muir...) would have been up that dark alley faster than a pie down Rigby's throat.

Talking of pies... how do Pukka Pies afford these hoardings at England games? Just how many people are necking their crusty topped heart attacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:21 pm 
Is it really true that Morph has crossed over? :cry: Because I kind of loved him - I hated that other one - the pale, kind of ill-looking one with the weird eyes -can't remember his name - but even Tony used to look at him with contempt as if to say 'F**k you boy, Morph's got it all going on and you'll never be anything'...anyway... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:02 am 

Cavey! wrote:
Is it really true that Morph has crossed over? :cry: Because I kind of loved him - I hated that other one - the pale, kind of ill-looking one with the weird eyes -can't remember his name - but even Tony used to look at him with contempt as if to say 'F**k you boy, Morph's got it all going on and you'll never be anything'...anyway... :shock:

He was Chas, a kind of plasticene chav of his day. His voice was gruffer and of course he was far cooler...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:48 am 
Bovine Juice wrote:
Chas... was far cooler...

That's because the car Chas was left in had air conditioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:00 am 
Tim (Guest) wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
Chas... was far cooler...

That's because the car Chas was left in had air conditioning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bu bum...right now back to serious matters - can't that professor be held accountable for some kind of act of cruelty? If you left a dog in a hot car (don't like the band but they have a point) the RSPCA would come into the equation - there must be some kind of law against allowing national treasures like Morph to just melt... :shock: What if Zippy or Bungle were treated in this 'devil may care' manner?...

Laughing at the chav comment Bovine - perhaps there was more of an 'edge' to Chas - like he should have had a 'fag' in one hand and a pint of lager in the other while saying 'I tell you what I can do son...' Do you think Chas might get some recognition now that Morph is history?...can anybody tell I don't have a life because i'm giving this too much thought... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:25 am 
Mosh Monster

Chas and Morph had something of a fractious relationship. I wouldn't be too surprised if Chas had bunged this so-called "professor" (has he proof of his qualifications I wonder?) a bit of cash to ensure that he was negligent in his automobile-ventilation-related duties. I just hope that Chas does not have the nerve to show his face at the funeral (at which Morph will presumably be buried, as cremation would just make him more blobby).

Morph (left) and his back-stabbing 'friend' Chas in happier times.
Photograph: Lord Litchfield. Wardrobe: Stella McCartney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:47 am 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - I'm laughing so much it's hurting!!!!! - i've just noticed the Litchfield and Mcartney caption - :wink:

They were photogenic chaps. Look at Chas's smug/sly face though - look at the body language - Chas is 'holding' Morph down - you can almost hear him saying 'stay down you mug' and if you look really closely you can see the fear in Morph's eyes...no, it's making sense now - we don't need Angela Lansbury for this case - come on guys - the Professor's excuse - 'a mascot for the plasticity of the brain?' - what the?? You're onto something Muir - the professor is chas's agent - look at the revival that will come off the back of Morph's death now - the royalties, the two page spreads 'The secret years with morph...' the new spin-off serious 'Chas and clay...' :shock: No, don't let him get away with it Muir, take it to the top. Chas just couldn't kick his habit and in the end he stabbed his one true friend through the back to make a fast buck...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:56 pm 
Mosh Monster

It's an open and shut case. Worth noting too that the photo demolishes the myth about ‘men with big hands’ as they both seem to have non-existent genitalia. Possibly this was Tony "The Creator" Hart's idea of guarding against sinful behaviour - or maybe he wanted his charges to be able to sing covers of songs by Muse and The Darkness to entertain him as did his paintings. Either way, it must have been frustrating for the pair and possibly explains why Chas was driven to a frenzy of murderous rage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:09 pm 

Muir wrote:
Worth noting too that the photo demolishes the myth about ‘men with big hands’ as they both seem to have non-existent genitalia.

Interesting observation. Of course Chas has been in the public eye since leaving Take Hart - just hiding behind serious make-up.

Shame about that incident where he spent too long bending over a pair of candles...

Embrace the margin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:53 pm 

Cavey!! wrote:
What if Zippy or Bungle were treated in this 'devil may care' manner?...

They were a right pair of dozy twats. Wasn't Jeffrey an alcoholic, who eventually got sacked? And remember those 3 dweebs in the brightly coloured overalls? Tossers. My son, who is 8 and should really know better has started watching some ridiculous programme called Big Cook Little Cook that's on at 8am on BBC2 weekdays. It features 2 characters in clothes like that but one is about 6 inches tall and looks like Dennis Pennis. He does these bizarre little dances whcih a embarrassing but strangely compelling... look there must be some doleys out there that watches this shit and can back me up on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:00 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Big Cook Little Cook

No idea, but I do remember Big John Little John. It was rubbish.

Embrace the margin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:07 pm 

SPT wrote:
Bovine Juice wrote:
Big Cook Little Cook

No idea, but I do remember Big John Little John. It was rubbish.

I can only assume everyone's watching Bear in the Big Blue House on channel 4 at that time... I hate that bear. Americans shouldn't make kids TV programmes. Apart from the Muppets of course.