SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Inadvertantly Ruined
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 am 
Offline
Beast with a Bass
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 488
Location: Coventry
Having got back broadband, obviously I quickly capitulated to evil, multi-national corporatism and opened an account with iTunes.

Heigh-ho. So I did the usual rummaging and downloaded a few tracks that, for some reason, weren't already to hand. Amongst these was "Lust For Life". Good to hear those big drums again. Or so I thought...

Because, after a couple of plays, I glanced at the track details on the music player and realised I'd downloaded it not from "The Idiot", but from "101 Running Songs", whence it had somehow been collected. So the genre column doesn't list it as "rock" but as "fitness & workout".

This shouldn't make a difference, but it does. It really does. And somehow it ties in with those car insurance ads - now if I try to listen to the song my mind tortures me with images of Iggy and his Evil Puppet Sidekick jogging through a palm-tree infested Hell shouting self-improvement slogans at dead souls.

Honestly, I shudder at the thought of playing it now.

Any similar stories?

_________________
Reason and rationality may be pursuing us, but we are faster.
Wittgenstein Blog: http://lwpi.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Offline
Anarchy's gimp

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Posts: 840
Location: London-by-the-Sea
Not quite in the same league, but I succumbed to downloading 'Golden Brown' as my ringtone once, thinking those haunting notes would work quite well without my being a total knob when out and about. Turned out not to be the original but a really cack Rolf Harris stylophone-sounding piece of shit, which would very much point me out as a prick of the highest order if it went off - which obviously it hasn't because I've never used it. That was the easiest £2.50 I've lost...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm 
Offline
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Posts: 6251
Location: Legra, Ēastseaxe
ha ha - I did something similar with Blue Monday which was a pretty bad midi file and sounded like my four year old nephew on a fisher price keyboard.

_________________
If Ian Curtis had lived, and enjoyed the ale…

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 pm 
Offline
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:52 pm
Posts: 14708
Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Ditto This Charming Man for me. Though quite why I thought a tinny digital keyboard version of a guitar track would work I'm not sure....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 pm 
Offline
Beast with a Bass
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 488
Location: Coventry
Bola wrote:
ha ha - I did something similar with Blue Monday which was a pretty bad midi file and sounded like my four year old nephew on a fisher price keyboard.


Just like the original, then! :mrgreen:

btw, I have "Wild Honey Pie" by The Beatles as my ringtone. Somehow, this hasn't helped stave off the feeling of dread I get whenever someone calls me....

Oh, and going back to Blue Monday, I do wish radio stations would stop playing the truly horrific "throw the kitchen sink at it" remix that came out a few years back. At least the original had a certain stark dignity to it.

_________________
Reason and rationality may be pursuing us, but we are faster.
Wittgenstein Blog: http://lwpi.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 pm 
Offline
Anarchy's gimp

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Posts: 840
Location: London-by-the-Sea
As we're on the subject of ringtones, whose phone's gone off, with new ringtone playing, and you haven't remembered that it's your phone that's bleeping? I was in the library once and Peter Kay's voice starting asking 'who the hell was calling at this time', etc, which I ignored whilst getting increasingly pissed off with the idiot who didn't realise his/her phone needed answering. Until it clicked it was coming from my pocket :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 pm 
Offline
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:52 pm
Posts: 14708
Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Devilish Red wrote:
As we're on the subject of ringtones, whose phone's gone off, with new ringtone playing, and you haven't remembered that it's your phone that's bleeping? I was in the library once and Peter Kay's voice starting asking 'who the hell was calling at this time', etc, which I ignored whilst getting increasingly pissed off with the idiot who didn't realise his/her phone needed answering. Until it clicked it was coming from my pocket :oops:


Hehe. I now have a Sony phone and I think all Sony phones have the same ringtone so I'm constantly reaching for my phone o nthe train when someone else's goes off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
Beast with a Bass
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 488
Location: Coventry
Bovine Juice wrote:
I think all Sony phones have the same ringtone so I'm constantly reaching for my phone o nthe train when someone else's goes off.


File under Life's Little Humiliations:

"Ah yes, that'll be for me; I'm popular, I'm important, I'm... oh, erm... as you were...."

_________________
Reason and rationality may be pursuing us, but we are faster.
Wittgenstein Blog: http://lwpi.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm 
Offline
Anarchy's gimp

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Posts: 840
Location: London-by-the-Sea
Apologies for taking the thread a bit further away from its original theme, but another mobile-related annoyance happened to me earlier. I was unfortunate to be sat in front of a woman having a typically inane conversation from beginning to end of my bus journey to work. I then allowed said woman to go ahead of me down the stairs (no, not so I could arrange an 'accident'), she with her phone still glued to her ear. She then got off the bus, and turned the same way I was going, still blathering away. It was all I could do not to about face and march in the opposite direction to the office, just to get away from her. Nightmare...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 pm 
Offline
Beast with a Bass
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 488
Location: Coventry
It's odd how as soon as someone takes a mobile call in public they seem to assume that they've been sucked into a parallel universe and no longer exist on earth in corporeal form. They lurch around the streets, randomly changing direction or abruptly coming to a halt so that it's all you can do to avoid knocking them over.

Thing is, I do that as well.

_________________
Reason and rationality may be pursuing us, but we are faster.
Wittgenstein Blog: http://lwpi.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 pm 
Offline
Anarchy's gimp

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Posts: 840
Location: London-by-the-Sea
Mrs Ray Flicker wrote:
It's odd how as soon as someone takes a mobile call in public they seem to assume that they've been sucked into a parallel universe and no longer exist on earth in corporeal form. They lurch around the streets, randomly changing direction or abruptly coming to a halt so that it's all you can do to avoid knocking them over.

Thing is, I do that as well.


We've just discussed that very thing, we call it the bubble syndrome. These same blabbermouths who you can't help hearing always look slightly pissed off if you glance in their direction. Somehow, you're then invading their privacy, rather than the other way round :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:53 pm 
Offline
Beast with a Bass
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 488
Location: Coventry
Devilish Red wrote:
Mrs Ray Flicker wrote:
It's odd how as soon as someone takes a mobile call in public they seem to assume that they've been sucked into a parallel universe and no longer exist on earth in corporeal form. They lurch around the streets, randomly changing direction or abruptly coming to a halt so that it's all you can do to avoid knocking them over.

Thing is, I do that as well.


We've just discussed that very thing, we call it the bubble syndrome. These same blabbermouths who you can't help hearing always look slightly pissed off if you glance in their direction. Somehow, you're then invading their privacy, rather than the other way round :evil:


A particularly dangerous combination, I find, is mothers with prams and mobiles - especially as prams these days could usefully be shipped out to Afghanistan to protect "our boys" from IEDs. I mean, these things are HUGE. So you can imagine the havoc caused by a pram-pusher with a mobile in, say, a crowded supermarket aisle.

_________________
Reason and rationality may be pursuing us, but we are faster.
Wittgenstein Blog: http://lwpi.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm 
Offline
Anarchy's gimp

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Posts: 840
Location: London-by-the-Sea
Mrs Ray Flicker wrote:
A particularly dangerous combination, I find, is mothers with prams and mobiles - especially as prams these days could usefully be shipped out to Afghanistan to protect "our boys" from IEDs. I mean, these things are HUGE. So you can imagine the havoc caused by a pram-pusher with a mobile in, say, a crowded supermarket aisle.


This is a phenomenon I regularly encounter during the school run. Honestly, what can be so important at 8.40 on a weekday morning that must be discussed there and then??? Chances are, they're nattering to people who would know fine well that they'll be pushing a pram up the hill whilst keeping an eye on the kids at that time, and who they're probably going to meet up with later on. Grr....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inadvertantly Ruined
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline
Vimto supping slipper merchant

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 pm
Posts: 2
Thanks for this awesome topic. Good post to talk about on my site.

_________________
Conference iPad app


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group