SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:54 pm 
Nobody has mentioned 'Spiders' by Space - sure, the later stuff was a bit crap but 'Neighbourhood', 'Me and You Vs the World' and 'Female Of The Species' were cracking singles of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:09 pm 
Beast with a Bass

Quote:
Nobody has mentioned 'Spiders' by Space - sure, the later stuff was a bit crap but 'Neighbourhood', 'Me and You Vs the World' and 'Female Of The Species' were cracking singles of the time.

I totally agree, I once walked down a catwalk to 'female of the species' kidding myself I was all alluring and mysterious. Ahhh the confidence of youth!!!

Ahem, sorry random sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:13 pm 
Toadsniffer

Tim (Guest) wrote:

I loved Space! Female of the Species was a classic! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:56 pm 
Mosh Monster

I still find it difficult to look back on the whole thing with any nostalgic fondness. It's very difficult to analyse on aesthetic terms, as the whole was a media phenemenon rather than a musical one. It was more about Alistair Campbell colluding with the media and the music industry rather than any sudden explosion of musical talent.

Sure there will be the odd song that might still sound credible, but if you throw enough shit at the wall then some of it will stick. However, there were acts that distanced themselves from the whole thing as soon as they sussed they were being hoodwinked (Pulp, Blur etc), and these have managed to salvage their credibility and probably wouldn't have lasted this long otherwise.

I remember it being a time of culture clash too.It was very strange that all of a sudden you had townies going to indie discos, which had previously been the preserve of goths, crusties and other "weirdos". You also had the likes of The Cardiacs opening for Blur and baiting the disapproving Chavs in the audience.

Fortunately, at the time there was a very strong UK underground music scene, which proved a very healthy alternative to the NME/New Labour sponsored twaddle we were being forced to swallow, and is just as worthy of reappraisal (if not more so). I'm talking the likes of Prolapse. The Yummy Fur, Bis , Lung Leg, Heavenly, Quickspace , Comet Gain, Tunic etc.
This is what I like to remember more fondly from this period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:04 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
I agree to a point Andy but didn't the walls to indie discos first tumble down about 5 years before that with 'baggy'/'grunge'/'shoegazing'? I remember having a top time *ahem* dancing to World of Twist, the Soup Dragons, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Northside, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:22 pm 
Mosh Monster

Bovine Juice wrote:
I agree to a point Andy but didn't the walls to indie discos first tumble down about 5 years before that with 'baggy'/'grunge'/'shoegazing'? I remember having a top time *ahem* dancing to World of Twist, the Soup Dragons, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Northside, etc...

Suppose so, but it was still pretty much a student only type of thing. I was talking about the sort of person who would normally go to a Tiffany's (as it was then) style pick up joint on a Friday night. However, I was living in Devon in the early 90s which isn't know for being cosmopolitan, so may be this had been going on a while longer in more modern parts of Britain.

In my time, I would usually be the most normal looking person in these alternative night clubs (which usually stank of Patchouli Oil), and it wasn't unusual for the odd crowd of townies to be waiting outside at the end of the night for a bit of student baiting / beating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:36 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

Bovine Juice wrote:
I remember having a top time *ahem* dancing to World of Twist, the Soup Dragons, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Northside, etc...

More like Candyflip :wink:

I enjoyed the ol' Indie Dance period although there were some shocking tunes. Paris Angles "Perfume" is a corker as where most things released by Were's The Beach. But C86 gods The Soup Dragons going baggy/dance - a feckin shocker!

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists