SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Dodgy Comedies
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:42 pm 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Ok chums let's hear the list of supposedly good comedies that are actually pants. So Mind Your Language wouldn't qualify as everyone agrees it's rubbish but 2 Pints of Lager does qualify because some puerile halfwits actually think its predictable coarseness is huh huh like funny dude. Toss.

Anyway I'll kick off with Bo Selecta. The Guardian Guide yesterday had a brilliant slag-off which was spot on. The program's rubbish! The little pervy bear is funny maybe about twice but the rest is awful. A man dressed in a rubber face talking dirty (ie all his characters) is the lowest form of wit and I defy anyone over the age of 13 to enjoy it without the aid of three gallons of mango flavoured alcopops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:27 pm 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

I suspect this isn't too controversial but -

French and Saunders make me want to stab my own eyes out with a pickle fork and Absolutely Fabulous has me reaching for a tall glass of Mr Muscle drain cleaner with a Domestos chaser. Unutterable bilgewater both.

Embrace the margin
Always Changing at Retford http://sptxx.tumblr.com/
Not Changing at Retford http://sptxx2.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:36 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Well the whole point of this thread is er to disagree amongst ourselves. Thought Ab Fab was good for maybe 9 episodes. Couldn't watch it now though as the characters became a bit irritating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:50 pm 
Axe Wielding Maniac

My Hero is pretty bad, which is a shame, since Ardal O'Hanlon was so hilarious on Father Ted.

I don't know how Friends stayed on for 10 years. Horrible show, not funny. None of the characters were likeable. Vapid, mindless twats who need a good slap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:49 am 
Mute with Roland who avoids eye contact

Agree with virtually all of the above.

F&S - pathetically unfunny. Why does the Beeb keep giving them shows?
Friends - managed 10 years with no laughs
Ab Fab - Ab Crap

Now, Frasier, that's class. And Blackadder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:14 am 

Not all "good" but certainly popular (or the actors are).

Three words: Vicar of Dibley. Four words: pile of steaming shit.

Massively overrated: our salt of the earth dodgy geezers from Peckham The Trotters in Only Fools and Horses. Sentimental crap mainly, with the occasional decent moment (that gets repeated endlessly).

Anything involving Baddiel and Skinner. While their improvised shows are inexplicably popular, their sitcoms were both utterly shit. Baddiels’s was overwritten shit that tried to be Seinfeld while Skinner’s was clichéd bollocks that crawled out of the toilet bowl of shite comedy. It reminded me of ‘Orrible, it was so bad.

Anything by that gobshite scouse vegan Carla Lane. I hope crows peck out her eyes.

Bottom. A single joke stretched to how many series and videos? Those unfunny twats Wik and Vivian (do they have real names?) have been milking the empty teats of that particular cow for 20 years and the only funny moment came when Mayall fell off his bike. And you didn’t laugh, you liar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:58 am 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Anything by that gobshite scouse vegan Carla Lane. I hope crows peck out her eyes.

Ah yes, Carla Lane.

Butterflies - stale marriage
Solo- follows a breakup
Last Song - stale marriage/affair
Leaving - marriage breakup

I'm sure there's a theme there somewhere. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:38 pm 

Johnny Anarchy wrote:
Bottom. A single joke stretched to how many series and videos? Those unfunny twats Wik and Vivian (do they have real names?) have been milking the empty teats of that particular cow for 20 years and the only funny moment came when Mayall fell off his bike. And you didn’t laugh, you liar?

Hmmm Bottom was great for a while but yeah it's worn a bit thin for er the last 10 years.. I loved its predecessor (Filthy Rich and Catflap) which has inexplicably never been repeated or released on VHS or DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:43 pm 

Bovine Juice wrote:
Johnny Anarchy wrote:

Hmmm Bottom was great for a while but yeah it's worn a bit thin for er the last 10 years.. I loved its predecessor (Filthy Rich and Catflap) which has inexplicably never been repeated or released on VHS or DVD.

F,R&C vol 1 was due out on DVD last month, Juicy, old chum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:57 pm 

Friends is very bad, makes me cringe everytime I'm forced to watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:02 pm 

flippin nora, you're not wrong! Hurrah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:08 pm 
Fella in codpiece with curly mullet

Phlegmy Toad wrote:

It's been out for a couple of weeks now and Wollworths are flooging it cheaply.

Other crap comedies of recent times. "Hardware" with the bloke from the office - shit or what?

Records I Like - The Culture Bunker- Festive 50 Spotify Playlists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:21 pm 

Bola wrote:
Phlegmy Toad wrote:

It's been out for a couple of weeks now and Wollworths are flooging it cheaply.

I so love a cheap floog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:46 pm 

Phlegmy Toad wrote:
Agree with virtually all of the above.

F&S - pathetically unfunny. Why does the Beeb keep giving them shows?
Friends - managed 10 years with no laughs
Ab Fab - Ab Crap

Now, Frasier, that's class. And Blackadder.

I'll second those emotions, Toady One.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:13 pm 
Mosh Monster

All impersonators are generally rubbish, e.g. Dead Ringers, Alastair McGowan, and Rory Bremner. This can be traced back through history too - Bobby Davro, Mike "OO Betty" Yarwood.

Also I'd like to confirm that far from being a fondly remembered "seminal" comedy, The Goodies was rubbish. The jokes are lame, dated, and quite frankly Bill Oddie is a lot more entertaining when he gets a premature ejaculation when standing within a 10 metre radius of a Kingfisher on one of those "nature" programs.

I really hate Coupling too - I assume some of the characters are intended to be endearing, but they come across clueless yuppie scum (see also Friends).

And ITV hasn't done a decent sitcom since the days of Alan B'stard (although Directors commentary was pretty good, but not really a sitcom). Did anyone see that All-Star comedy show thing a few months back - it was like everyone in it was under instructions from the BBC to make it as shit as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:17 pm 
Duty Free....Birds Of A Feather...Goodnight Sweetheart...The Thin Blue Line....A Fine Romance...Fresh Fields...Dad...Grace and favour....The Brittas empire...Red Dwarf....It Aint half Hot Mum....Just good Friends...Friends...good grief....the worse, without a single doubt, however, has to be Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please!

I liked Spaced, The Lovers, What Ever Happened To The Likely Lads... Man About The House (no! it was good!)...Porridge...Partridge... Dear John...Yes Minister...Black Books...any Leonard Rossiter...Father Ted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:20 pm 
I still haven't made my mind up about Never The Twain...
And when will BBC2 stop showing The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air? Americans do the best sitcoms my arse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:01 am 

pip wrote:
Duty Free....Birds Of A Feather...Goodnight Sweetheart...The Thin Blue Line....A Fine Romance...Fresh Fields...Dad...Grace and favour....The Brittas empire...Red Dwarf....It Aint half Hot Mum....Just good Friends...Friends...good grief....the worse, without a single doubt, however, has to be Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please!

I liked Spaced, The Lovers, What Ever Happened To The Likely Lads... Man About The House (no! it was good!)...Porridge...Partridge... Dear John...Yes Minister...Black Books...any Leonard Rossiter...Father Ted...

No complaints with any of your likes Pip but I protest at the inclusion of Thin Blue Line and Red Dwarf in your dislikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 am 

jannerboy wrote:
All impersonators are generally rubbish, e.g. Dead Ringers, Alastair McGowan, and Rory Bremner. This can be traced back through history too - Bobby Davro, Mike "OO Betty" Yarwood.

Also I'd like to confirm that far from being a fondly remembered "seminal" comedy, The Goodies was rubbish. The jokes are lame, dated, and quite frankly Bill Oddie is a lot more entertaining when he gets a premature ejaculation when standing within a 10 metre radius of a Kingfisher on one of those "nature" programs.

I really hate Coupling too - I assume some of the characters are intended to be endearing, but they come across clueless yuppie scum (see also Friends).

And ITV hasn't done a decent sitcom since the days of Alan B'stard (although Directors commentary was pretty good, but not really a sitcom). Did anyone see that All-Star comedy show thing a few months back - it was like everyone in it was under instructions from the BBC to make it as shit as possible.

The Goodies was fantasic er until you watch it again. Yep pants. A tinge of Python but bizarrely shown after 9pm and infant school humour. Kitten Kong indeed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:21 am 
jannerboy wrote:
All impersonators are generally rubbish, e.g. Dead Ringers, Alastair McGowan, and Rory Bremner.

Yeah, McGowan and Bremner need decent scriptwriters but Dead Ringers? their Greg Dyke, Andrew Marr and David Blunkett sketches are genius. I saw an old repeat earlier which had Paul Dacre of the Daily Mail ("It's alright for me to put scantily clad women in bikinis in my paper because I'll just put a column next to it saying how deplorable it is.. a headline above it saying 'filthy slappers!'") and a South Bank Show sketch tribute to "Spike Gilligan, who rose to fame on BBC radio's comedy show the Today programme". I thought it was well funny.

I used to quite like 'Coupling' too, not sure what to make of the new series. It's slowly starting to get a little pretentious, but the first three series you can't fault.