SoundsXP Message Boards - Indie, Indiepop, Nu-Folk and Alt-Country Forums

SoundsXP's very own gathering spot for the intelligent, irreverent, witty and daft.
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:25 am 
...and i'm not talking about his sexual habits here - I don't know if i've imagined this or not but tonight on the radio I heard William Shatner aka Kirk/and any other acting role he could get his hands on after that murdering Common people (again, not talking about a pastime - I mean the song by my God, Jarvis Cocker) Can somebody confirm this? :? Has T J hooker become T J Cocker? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:02 am 
Drunken mustachioed lothario on stage

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
Caveey wrote:
.. Has T J hooker become T J Cocker? :shock:

LOL :D

You sure it wasn't Jarvis, he's not exactly got where he er was through having a fine singing voice?

Maybe it means Shatner's got another album coming out? His first, a load of covers of classics recorded in the 60s is quite collectable, if shite. Didn't Leonard Spock do something similar? Anarchy will know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

It's Shatner and Ben Folds apparently (XFM have been playing it over the last couple of days).
Mildly humourous the first couple of time you hear it, then it starts to grate (no shocks there then!)

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:16 am 
Mosh Monster

:lol: :lol: :lol: has anyone heard Shatners verion of - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds? It's hilarious!! Nimoy did an album, I think it was called 'Highly Illogical'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:19 am 
Chutney ferret with lazy eye

I've got Chicken's copy of the Nimoy album stashed away somewhere at home (been meaning to give it back to him for about 18 months now).
Never listened to it - cos I'm not really that sad - but I'll try and rip a couple of tracks off of it over the weekend and post them on here if I can.

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.

As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the Rock 'n' Roll....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:49 am 
Cocker's trouser zip fiddler

spaceman wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: has anyone heard Shatners verion of - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds? It's hilarious!! Nimoy did an album, I think it was called 'Highly Illogical'

Indeed! It was re-issued on Rev-Ola a few years ago and I think I have it somewhere at home. I'm not sure whether it's the result of vanity, bad taste or bad drugs but it's half-hysterically funny and half-painfully bad. Best thing about it was that Cassetteboy sampled it for his brilliant Parker Tapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:56 am 
Bananas wrote:
I've got Chicken's copy of the Nimoy album stashed away somewhere at home (been meaning to give it back to him for about 18 months now).
Never listened to it - cos I'm not really that sad - but I'll try and rip a couple of tracks off of it over the weekend and post them on here if I can.

Please do Bananas because Cavey is intrigued now. I never knew that Shatner had an 'ahem' musical career of sorts - sometimes I wonder how I get through life :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:31 pm 
Bola on the bongos

Don't want to get too into the song but who is it who does the high pitched singing, that surely isn't Shat?

didn't he get in trouble for his lucy in the sky with diamonds song for smoking whilst singing it and pretending to be stoned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:22 pm 
Mosh Monster

It's worse than that. It's a duet, Jim. Shatner's Common People is apparently a duet with Joe Jackson with Ben Folds producing.

The album includes also cameos by Henry Rollins, Aimee Mann and Lemon Jelly!

The question is, WHY? The guy can't sing! I have a copy of his first (and, until recently, only) album and quite often put it on when I have friends round so we can have a laugh (though if it's a girl I'm entertaining then I only need drop my trousers to get this reaction) but that's because it wasn't MEANT to be funny. His appalling spoken-word take on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was done earnestly, not for laughs! These days Shatner seems to have realised he might as well embrace his comical status and exploit it, hence the new album, but I can't help thinking it won't really work this time.

The album by Spock, I mean Nimmoy, is rather better - as he does at least sing and has a reasonable voice - and it's less funny as a result, although there are some classic moments such as The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:18 pm 
Axe Wielding Maniac

'It's not music as we know it, Jim'...Shat's 'Transformed Man' also came out on Rev-Ola (in 1992). My battered copy came courtesy of a Southwark Libraries clear-out. It looks to have been well-played but fortunately the glory that is Mr Tambourine Man and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds remained intact...*shudder*. Truly inimitable. No-one would want to imitate that! Funnily enough, I don't tend to play old Bill reciting from King Henry the Fifth (sic) to music.....No such shakesperian shenanigans from Spock...er, Nimoy....who combines originals (the aformentioned Ballad of Bilbo Baggins is, uhm, truly original but Highly Illogical, which plays upon his Spock persona is worthy of admiration too) with a host of covers including Love of the common people (and If had a hammer, Everbody's talkin', Proud mary, Both side now, If I was a carpenter, Ruby don't take your love to town). Truly, a galaxy of wonderment. Ask Why? and set the EQ to stun....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:33 pm 
Leonard did several long players.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/ ... cords.html

Nichelle Nichols. (Uhura) did a lady soul album called "Out Of This World".

I don't actually like Star Trek BTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:41 pm 

Location: Wild and devil-may-care on the last mobility scooter to hell... YEAH!!!!
pip wrote:
Leonard did several long players.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/ ... cords.html

Nichelle Nichols. (Uhura) did a lady soul album called "Out Of This World".

I don't actually like Star Trek BTW!

Pants on fire! You are a Trekkie and you wear little pale blue replica jim jams, curled up in bed with a fluffy little toy Tribble!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:44 pm 
is it just me or does everyone else in the world except me and my mate tom hate ben folds? mind you i could go off him rather rapidly after hearing that cack hes done with with shitner. peace

www.johnband.tk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:00 pm 

JOHN wrote:
is it just me or does everyone else in the world except me and my mate tom hate ben folds? mind you i could go off him rather rapidly after hearing that cack hes done with with shitner. peace

www.johnband.tk

Not just you John. Ben Folds is Gilbert O'Sullivan and I claim my 10 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:10 pm 
Oh God, I don't know what you are going to do/say to me for admitting this Bovine but I love Gilbert :oops: and just the other day I was listening to Alone again naturally and thinking to myself you may look like a conservative circus clown but you have made some beautiful music... :? How weird that you should mention him...have you bugged my place or something Juice boy?.... :shock: As for Ben folds five - have never even bothered to go there but if it's really my little Gilbert it's worth the trip.. :wink: How do you want that tenner Bovine? - as two blueys?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 am 
Vimto supping slipper merchant

Nice topic .